+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about a Tiger Eye blank

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    TampaJim -

I have a great deal of respect for you and regard for your experience, and accept your honesty, integrity, and good faith without question.

It is unimaginable that anyone on this BB would challenge you this way, asking you to name the rod makers with which you have dealt so he could call them to confirm for himself that you are honestly offering the benefit of your experience to this discussion.

John
    You're right John. Im wrong. Im not going to fight the popularity contest that runs rampent here...so act as you wish end forget I posted anything on this subject because it will be a cold day "somewhere" before I post any other post on rod building. I'll let you handle that with your vast experience
    Last edited by Sully; 02-07-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post

In my experience, the manufacturers of blanks are split about 50/50. The BEST approach is to ask each when first using their products. IF in doubt OR you can't get a qualified answer (such as imported blanks), I suggest ferrule wraps. They aren't going to hurt a thing and lack of use might just do so IF they are needed.

Jim -
    +1

I've contacted blank makers about ferrule wrapping, and there are some that do not require them. When in doubt, ask the manufacturer. With modern technology, there are rod construction methods that don't require ferrule wrapping by the rod maker. The times change, and the technology with them.
    IIRC, Dan Craft was the first that told me they weren't required on his blanks and warranty isn't affected either way.
    Last edited by ol' blue; 02-07-2010 at 02:39 PM.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Sully -

I would like to suggest that you DO continue to participate in conversations regarding ANY and ALL subjects on the forum. Venues such as this, suffer greatly without participation by a wide variety of insights.

In order to hopefully resolve this issue, I sent an e-mail to a friend to clarify his viewpoint on the matter ... since you referenced him in a redacted post.

He issued the statement below SPECIFICALLY for this forum AND based on the comments made within this particular thread. I sincerely hope that this information will be accepted in the manner it is intended - as helpful information to promote the craft of rod building.

Jim -

"In a recent issue of RodMaker Magazine, we discussed ferrule reinforcement wraps in an article titled "Ferrule Reinforcement Facts". In the article I mentioned that for many years now, most multi-piece blank manufacturers have internally reinforced their ferrules with glass thread. These types do not necessarily require any sort of external reinforcement with thread nor anything else. In fact, of the dozen or so blank manufacturers we spoke to, less than half stated that a thread reinforcement wrap was required on their multi-piece ferrules.

Some of the manufacturers that we spoke with and quoted in the article as stating that their ferrules did NOT require any external thread reinforcement were: Composite Tube Systems, St. Croix and Burkheimer. Companies that recommended a thread reinforcement wrap be made included Sage and Seeker.

However, no blank manufacturer that I know of puts any kind of advisement or recommendation on their blank packaging (a real shame) so the average rod builder really has no way of knowing whether the blank he's holding requires such a reinforcement wrap or not. For this reason, it's a good idea to add one, remembering that it's the edge of the female ferrule edge where any split out has to start. So it's important to get your wrap as close to the edge of the ferrule opening as possible. Some find it easier to start at the edge, while others wrap towards the end. Either way is fine, just remember to make the wrap fairly snug - perhaps just a little tighter than your regular guide wraps.

As far as the length of the wrap, I settled on a length that is equal to about 1/2 to twice the diameter of the ferrule opening. This "formula" has sort of stuck and been repeated as a sort of gospel across the internet and in rod building circles. It certainly provides more than adequate length for the reinforcement wrap but it was based on nothing more than a desired to provide a consistent aesthetic look for my multi-piece rods. It's the 1/4 to 1/2 inch of thread at the bottom of the female ferrule that counts - the rest is just extra length."

Tom Kirkman
    RodMaker Magazine
    http://www.rodmakermagazine.com

International Custom Rod Building Exposition
    http://www.rodexpo.com

Blog Entries

I find this very interesting. I had been operating under the assumption that all female ferrules needed to be wrapped. On all of the rods I have done, there was a gap in the final finish that necessitated this anyway, except for one. The Cabella's Traditions II blank was finished all the way to the end. In another thread, possibly on another board, I read that St Croix makes Cabella's blanks. Perhaps that blank did not need the wraps. It got them anyway.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

My primary fly rod is a 5 wt St. Croix that I built from a blank my wife got me a couple of years ago (and SC-IV, if I recall correctly). I didn't wrap that ferrule, it was finished to the end, and so far I've not had any trouble with it. It is my go to rod but alas I can't say I've caught any lunkers on it that would stress it anywhere near the max. I don't think I'll go back and wrap it.

I've also got a rod that I'm building for my son-in-law that's a 2 pc graphite rod and I can't remember what brand it is but the ferrule is finished to the end and I will wrap it. That seems like the safe thing to do. The 4 piece rod I'm building is a 9 wt that I plan to take to Cozumel in a couple of months and do some bonefishing with. I'm hoping this rod sees some decent runs and gets a workout. These female ferrules are not finished to the end and since I have nothing to suggest whether they should be wrapped or not, I'll wrap them (actually I do have a hint about who else uses the blank and it is one the brands that recommends wrapping the ferrules).

I'm very comfortable with dissenting opinions. I'm not so comfortable when the differences get emotional but I have not forgotten what we're discussing - a fly rod. I didn't mean for anyone to get their hackles ruffled and honestly, I find different opinions are healthy. I learned something - thanks folks.

Greybeard

It may not be a requirement to wrap the ferrules for warranty. However I would still suggest doing so. The ferrule can be a weak spot especially when a rod is torqued in the casting motion. If a rod section works itself loose or is not installed tightly there is a good possibility that the rod would get damaged. This damage would probably be prevented by having it wrapped. So it may not be required, but I would certainly say that it is advisable. Just my opinion and bad experience.
    Last edited by hardhat; 02-08-2010 at 03:40 AM.

+ Reply to Thread