+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: FAOL ? What?s It Worth To You?

Default What FAOL means to me

Well,I guess I"ll take this opportunity to introduce myself.My name is Ray Livesey alias rayhill190.I am new to fly fishing,tying and hopefully furling and rod building.I am a disabled Viet Nam vet.I tell you that not for sympathy but who i am.I have been lurking now for a little over a year.Though i hate that term.Denotes something devious,that i am not.As a Vet,sometimes,I am skeptical of people.I have come to love the comradery of FAOL.The true brotherhood,I have missed that.Thank you my friends.I had a counselor say,"Oh fly fishing is a hobby".No,it is much more,it has nothing to with fishing.It is solitude,it is the cast,the drift,the comtemplation.FAOL has helped me so much in my new found life.Thank you.As for subscription,living on a fixed income,i would give up something to still be part of your family.Means much more to allot of us.

Hi, I'm Gary, I'm a FAOL addict. Visit this site almost everyday. Don't post much, cause I don't have much to say or someone beats me to it. I guess you could say I'm a listener. FAOL has become a daily habit of mine. I use it to relax and unwind after work. Putting a price on the site...I really hope it doesn't come to that. I believe it could cut down on the active people that fill this site with valuable information. Awesome site, noone on the web gets close. Thank you to all the people that have spent their valuable time sharing thier knowledge. I have learned more about flytying/ flyfishing here than anywhere else.

Thank you,
    Gary

P.S. Go catch a fish

Default FAOL's Worth?

Ladyfisher, FAOL is Priceless!!! Great people getting together for the good of all people, not just flyfishers. What we learn and contribute to each other and to the world is with a price. We are in this mainly for fly fishing but we also do our part for conservation and making the world a better place to live in. Thanks for all you and everyone else does to make this the best of the best. Thanks again, John

FAOL seems like it has a very high search engine placement. When ever I use google for fly fishing, there you are, somewhere on the first page. That oughta be worth sumpin!

The site's like a good book. Can't put it down.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crash13 View Post
    Hi, I'm Gary, I'm a FAOL addict.
    I think it's safe to say that if they ever come up with a 12 Step Program for this place, we really don't want to hear about it.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Default I'd be willing to pay

If it weren't for this site and the Flyfishing 101 section, I would never have had the information or confidence necessary to pick up a fly rod and reel last year. Now that I'm getting deeper into fly fishing (just got my fly tying kit this week and have tied a few on), this site is the first place I turn to whenever I have a question on anything related to fly fishing and, often, just to browse for fun.
    That being said, I would definitely be willing to pay a yearly fee, almost like a magazine subscription, to access all the information on the site.
    At the same time, I would hate to see some of the introductory materials require that fee, because, for some, like myself, being in an area where there are only a limited number of fly fishers, this site is a priceless, invaluable resource.
    So my suggestion would be to make some areas for subscribers only, then other areas open.
    And keep up the good work.
    "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger."

- Herbert Hoover

Default Invaluable To Me

I don't know why I just noticed this thread. This site is invaluable to me. I've met many generous people on this site that have become my friends--only if online. I've also made a good friend that lives 2 hours from me. He has taught me the basics of rod building and we now fish and hunt together whenever we can. I've come to know, trust and respect many opinions on this site from tying, to rod building, to cooking, etc. I depend on the generous expertise of persons on FAOL and I'd be lost without them. After a crazy day in a crazy world it relaxes me. This site is a safe haven, a place where I can escape and spend time with persons of my own ilk. This site has allowed me to take vicarious fishing trips to many states and countries, places I'll probably never see. I would gladly pay a fee or make a donation for its continuation.
    Last edited by lastchance; 02-05-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: additions

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I agree with most of these folks here and their responses to this query. I too have made several online friends, and have even met a couple in the flesh. I thoroughly enjoy the site and the people here. I would sorely miss it if it were to go away. I would willingly donate or pay a modest fee to continue to be a part and share with these fine & generous folks. As well, what I have learned is huge. I agree with another post I read here.................Priceless..............Let's ensure that FAOL continues.....ModocDan

Thumbs up

FAOL is one of the best ff sites on the web. a wealth of information and friendship. I do not even subscribe to the ff mags any more. More and better info right here

I don't know if this has been posted before and someone here has it on their signature:

All my friends live in my computer.

I don't have a fishing partner and my son's are off in college so our time together is now limited. I come here to 'touch base', keep up and learn something.

The board is polite, mature, and members are very generous with their time, talent, and understanding.

Over the years I have visited and joined other Web sites. This is the only one that I read regularly (several times a day). Most of the others have long been forgotten.

Coming to the FAOL is like going to my favorite diner. I don't know who'll be sitting there when I walk in, but I know the company will be good and the food will be excellent!
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

+ Reply to Thread