+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Experimenting with the Weenie Balls

Nice use of the weenie material.

Thwack, the weenie ball I have is the same as yours but orange instead of blue. Have no idea where it was made. It was in my son's toy box and I thought "hey, those things move really nice, I bet it would look good to a fish".

The rest is hairy weenie history.

I like all the weenie variations.

Jeff

I finally fished that funny look fly I posted last August. I needed to get deep while trolling a pond for bass and the heavy eye on that fly looked just right. I figured maybe the wiggly bits would work (or maybe the fish would laugh themselves silly at the sight of it).

Got my first fish very quickly and was the one laughing themselves silly because a fish actually hit it:

And, since one fish hit it, I had to keep fishing it. I picked up a total of five bass before losing the fly (probably on a bad backcast). Now I have to tie up more (and in other colors).

I showed a couple buddies the picture of the fly in the fish's mouth and they were stunned it worked (and agreed it was quite possibly the world's ugliest fly).

Talking

uh ... nuthi'n to add ... you guys are gonna get white coated away, I see it coming...lol
    Who would have thought so much fun could come from a rubbery stringy thing...lol
    Thanks for the thread folks, I read the whole thing and am still not sure why...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Default The only one I bought...

They had a couple of different colors, but this one looked "natural".

I tried a couple of flies right off, but my imagination wouldn't stretch as far as this material does.

Kirk

crazy4oldcars,

Any pics of what you tied?

I'll dig around and see if I still have em. I know there is one in a coffee cup at work. I use it to keep the roaches away.
    If I find any, I'll shoot a pic and post it.

Kirk

Edit:
    Didn't find any, so I tied up a few.

Actually, the top right one isn't "tied". I just put all of the left-over pieces on a hook. I thought maybe rtidd Might appreciate it.

KB
    Last edited by crazy4oldcars; 06-10-2009 at 03:33 AM. Reason: To add an image, if you must know.

There's another source for this sort of material. I found it at Michaels craft store but it's not listed in their online catalog.

I do see it on Amazon though after searching for a "Googly Worm". Amazon only shows it in solid colors.

Michaels (at least the ones near me) has several two-tone versions. Each spike starts in one color and ends with another. I think there's some real possibility here but have only played with these a little bit at the tying bench.

Walgreen's web site shows they have at least one of the two-tone models (dark blue with pink tips). I found several two-tone colors at Michaels that start with a very light (white or light green) and the tips are orange, or purple or various other colors.
    Last edited by Thwack; 01-28-2010 at 06:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread