+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epoxy turners

Normand Guest

WOW! Thanks for the insult! Not EVERYTHING is on this FAOL site! If you can find then post it!
    Last edited by Normand; 01-27-2010 at 02:49 PM.

Default Meant As Complement

Normand, I meant that as a complement. I appreciate your wealth of knowledge. You save a lot of people a lot of time.
    Bruce

Normand,

I am also in awe of your ability to locate and direct folks to stuff, both on the site and over the net.

Amazing skill. I admire the time and effort you must have expended to acquire this ability.

You've saved me hours of aimless 'clicking about' over the years, and I appreciate it.

Thanks,

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

Default Fly Driers

bucktails+streamers:

Check out item # 360228322996 on eBay and then go to this guys "store". He has everything you need, and more, and is a real pleasure to do business with. I bought two motors from him last year, and shortly after putting them into service, one died for no known reason. I called him and he sent me a brand new replacement at his cost, and apologized for the inconvenience. His machined aluminum couplers are very well made, and his prices are quite reasonable. I make my own plastic rod couplers for doing rods with them.

Cheers

Default Micro wave plate turner motor

I used a micro wave plate turner motor from a curbside microwave. Works great! Works on houshold current...i.e. No batteries needed!

However, do read up on doing this, as I understand that a capacitor(?) inside the microwave can hold a "lethal" or at least "startlingly heavyduty" electrical charge...

Cost: motor...$ 0

Bowfin47

I use a microwave plate turner, it's a bit slower (5rpm) but it does get the job done. I'm sure you can find a cheap mw at a thrift store.

BTW, I agree with the "Normand The Great" comment, he is not only knowledgeable but has also given a lot of people a lot of free goodies.
    Last edited by Martin McFly; 01-27-2010 at 07:30 PM.
    I believe I can fly fish

I don't want to high jack the thread, but why do you something to rotate the flies? I just use a styrofoam block and let them air dry. What am I missing?

thanks,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Maybe it's one of those things you want to have because everybody else does (in my very case, not saying anybody else's is). I put mine together and have used it around 2 times, I prefer to rotate the vice...matter of preference I guess.
    I believe I can fly fish

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    I don't want to high jack the thread, but why do you something to rotate the flies? I just use a styrofoam block and let them air dry. What am I missing?
    If you're using slow-drying (24 hr) epoxy, keeping the flying moving prevents the epoxy from sagging before it dries. The thicker the coating of epoxy, the longer the drying time (and the bigger the risk of sagging if they're not kept in motion).

Slow rotation is enough to avoid the problem. The larger the wheel, the more flies you can mount on it to dry at the same time (so you can epoxy a batch of them and not have to rotate them individually while waiting for the epoxy to set).

I suppose you could hit the same problem with 5-minute epoxy though you wouldn't have to let the flies rotate as long.

Any kind of finish being applied that might sag (ex: painted popper bodies) could benefit from the same thing.

Default Dripping epoxy

Even 5 minute epoxy will droop and drip if not rotated.

+ Reply to Thread