+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the mother of all.....

Normand Guest

Default the mother of all.....

I guess it could be useful if those two beads were the only kind made.

Some of the hooks they indicate as fitting the beads are dry fly hooks (e.g. Mustad R30). I so glad to know that they make tungsten beads for dry flies...
    Bob

I like it, thanks Normand. Getting it on my iphone.

Default Hook /bead chart

Normand, thanks very much for the information. Helps us all out. Thanks again and atake care, John.

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post

Some of the hooks they indicate as fitting the beads are dry fly hooks (e.g. Mustad R30). I so glad to know that they make tungsten beads for dry flies...
    I see your point about beads on dry fly hooks, but theres nothing that says you cant use any hook for a sub-surface pattern since all hooks will sink. However using the lightest hook for a dry fly is about the only thing that one really needs to consider.

Normand Guest

most beads are made in the same diameters as those listed in the chart and have a small diameter hole on one side and a counterdrilled hole on the other side. it doesn't matter who makes them they are basically the same.

at least you'll never have to guess if a bead will fit that hook. tyers do substitute hook every now and the. no fly tying rules against it!
    Last edited by Normand; 01-28-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    most beads are made in the same diameters as those listed in the chart and have a small diameter hole on one side and a counterdrilled hole on the other side. it doesn't matter who makes them they are basically the same.
    If they were basically the same, there wouldn't have been two different bead listed -- and the charts for them are not the same. For example, look at the row for the Dai-Riki 700 #6 hook; the brass 3/16 bead fits and the tungsten 3/16 does not. The bead diameter may the same, but the hole size isn't. There is no standard hole size.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    at least you'll never have to guess if a bead will fit that hook. tyers do substitute hook every now and the. no fly tying rules against it!
    Possibly, but in the Mustad signature series, they tested the R30, a dry fly hook (and the last thing I would ever substitute on a weighted fly) for hook sizes 12 - 20 for most of their beads, but only tested the R50, a heavier diameter hook on which I might conceivably use a bead, for size 20 only, and the R70 for two sizes 14 and 16 only -- and that hook is definitely a wet fly hook. Will the beads fit? Who knows?
    Bob

Normand Guest

to everybody,

its a list.

its a list that had a number of participants put beads on hooks and report their findings. i did not create the list. i found it on the web and posted it as only a matter of reference. if the list doesnt work for you, dont copy or use it.

its a list thats not complete as it states on the page. you can even fill out a spreadsheet to help complete the list.

its a list that covers 2 basic beads. a round bead and a round bead with bumps to represent eyes.

its a list that does not state the diameter of the holes in the beads. but no other bead chart on the web does either.

its a list that is not used for quantum mechanics or string theory.

its only fly tying, not rocket science

Talking Beads

GOOD ANSWER NORM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Blog Entries

Wow, thanks, I put that in my Documents for future browsing.

+ Reply to Thread