+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sage fly reels

Default Sage fly reels

I am currently looking to purchase an 8wt fly reel in the near future for use in the salt. I am having trouble finding any user info on series 2000 and 4500 sage reels. Are these reels not popular for a reason, or just not talked about? Any feedback for or against is appreciated.

Default Sage reels

Welcome to FAOL sunthief, you'll like it here. Here's a link that i hope will help your search for info, though you may have seen this already.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/dyn_category.php?k=54325

You're right about reviews on the 2000 and 4500 as i spent some time in google and found little. I have a feeling the reels are new enough for there not to be a lot of reel world user press out there but hopefully the salt gang will chime in if they're using the reels you're looking at.

That said, i'm not sure how one could go wrong with a Sage product. i have a few and all are still working and performing just fine. Hope this helps even just a little bit.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Sage makes excellent rods......

Their reels have been out for quite a while (10 +years) but have not really caught on, at least from what I've seen.

You might want to broaden your search to include some other brands and models.

The fish you will be chasing will also have a bearing on how much reel you may want in an 8 weight if you're torn between how much to spend--- fish like stripers, bluefish, redfish, speckled trout (weakfish) etc don't tend to test tackle as much as bonefish, permit, baby tarpon, and false albacore (or other small tunas like bonito etc). If you're going to be doing a lot of fishing for speedsters like that, it'll probably be with guides and or destination type trips---- so the extra cost of a premium reel becomes something of a rounding error in terms of your total expense (if that makes it any easier to justify spending more.)

The two reels from Sage you listed are at significantly different price points.

Sage 2000 series 2080 for 8 weights goes for around 210.00
    other reels to look at that would be plenty for anything in the NE and great for occasional flats stuff:
    Bauer Junior Mac JM3 (239.00)
    Lamson Velocity 3X (280)

The Sage 4500 series has the 4580 for 8 weights and goes for 425.00
    If you're shopping in this range for a new reel, take a look at
    Galvan Torque Torque 8 (400.00)
    Nautilus CCF CCF-8 (425.00)

But in this price range, you might also look for a premium used reel, with a significant discount off list (something like 66% of list would be a good deal IMHO). It should come in around the price of a new 4580. These reels are bulletproof and pop up every once in awhile:
    Used Tibor Everglades (new 630.00)
    Used Pate Bonefish (new 530.00)
    Used Abel 3N (new 630.00)

I would also give a hard look at the Colton Torrent T810. These are sold direct and are not in shops, new at 315.00 it seems like a great deal in terms of bang for the buck. http://www.coltonfly.com/torrent.php

Just my 2 cents...

mark

Thanks guys. All of my fly fishing experience is for trout, pan fish and bass, however I want to expand into salt on the fly. I have had the oppertunities but have always stuck with conventional and spinning gear. I will be using the reel in 2 locations. I regularly go to the OBX for stripers, puppy drum, specks, spanish and small dolphin. Plus, I travel to the Carribean once or twice a year. So the species I am targeting with this reel vary greatly. I am looking at Hatch, Nautilus, & Lamson but was curious about these reels. Just trying to weigh my options.

I've been happy with my Tioga 10, caught lots of false albacore on it with no problems; drag worked fine. Having said that, if I was to venture into more hard-core saltwater fishing, like Baja someday, I'd look at Sea Level reels:
    http://www.sealevelflyfish.com/Site/...l_Extreme.html

They used to be marketed as Albright Tempest; I've seen nothing but good reviews on them and the price is not bad either.

Regards,
    Scott

I have a Sage 1880. The 2000 has the same drag. The reel is fine for light saltwater work like bonito, barracuda, redfish, seatrout, stripers, bonefish or heavy freshwater work like salmon or steelhead and pike.

I have had the 1880 for a year and a half. Only issue was that I noticed the three phillips head screws that secure the cover to the drag system trap salt crystals. A quick swipe with a tooth brush takes care of that and would on the 2000 series too.

I know more people with Sage 6000 series reels, which are excellent but much more costly.

By the way, the TFO LA reels are excellent and I know many people who have extensively used them in Baja without a problem and the TFO Terry Hayden reels are virtually indestructible and compare favorably with reels that cost almost twice as much (I have TFO Terry Hayden and Abel Big Game and Super Series reels).
    Last edited by tailingloop; 01-27-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Osterby View Post
    Anywhere in the US that sells them other than ebay?

Per their web site -

Streams of dreams fly shop
    324 Route 17
    Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458
    United States
    +1 201 934 11 38
    streamsofdreams@yahoo.com

I bought one a few years ago from Ron Larson in Roseburg, OR. He's old school. No response to emails etc. He treated me right after I got him on the phone. His phone # was/is 541-673-9810.

I wouldn't hesitate to order one directly from the manufacturer. The price quoted on their web site may include VAT(Value added tax) IIRC ~ 15%. US sales are not subject to it. Therefore, the quoted price may be ~ 85% of quoted to US.

They are nice reels.

Erik

+ Reply to Thread