+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DINOSAURS - Ladyfisher - January 25, 2010

AMEN! Remember when Republicans were moderate, CEO's worried about the best interests of their stockholders, doctors made house calls, and jobs were (more or less) secure?
    JW

Well, certainly stirred up some memories in this old dinosaur! In my growing up travels I've lived where were we had ice boxes that required 25 lb blocks of ice at least twice a week and the out house was the order of the day.

My very favorite person in this whole world was my Grandmother ~ (she passed in 1985 at age 101). On their "homestead" she cooked on a wood stove (some of the best cooking I've ever had came from that stove) and I remember dressing behind that wood stove on many a cold morning. On one of our reminiscent conversations I asked her what the greatest invention of her time was and she told me it was electricity, when the country got wired up and the oil lamps became decorative symbols; and indoor plumbing being a close second! I asked her what was the most memorable public event in her lifetime and she said it was when Lindbergh flew the Atlantic. The church she belonged to at the time, as did many churches in the country at the time, held an all day and night prayer vigil for him during his flight.

flyguy, I believe I remember when Don Hunter was chief but I'm not certain. I moved to Jeff. in '71, was he still there then? If not then I'm just remembering people talking about him. I was on the Police dept. there in the mid '70's. Lawrence Patton was chief.

All you guys are stirring up memories. The wood cook stove my grandmother cooked, their ice box, jw, the Repubs. are moderate now!!

Vic

Vic,

Since I was born in '66, yes that would have been when he was chief...cuz I used to get to sit in his car in the driveway and wear his hat. Every once in awhile...if I was good...he would even turn on the red light on top.

His son who lived in Owensville was a guard at the prison, uncle Eddie. And I had a great uncle, Virgil, who owned a donut shop attached to his house who made the most incredible donuts. And...ok, I'm just gonna say it...Central Dairy.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

My paternal grandfather came to this country from Germany in 1870, when he was 20 years old. My grandmother's parents brought her to this country when she was six. Granddad settled in Stoutland, Mo, where he built his flour mill, and where he raised his family. His older brother, who had come over 2 years earlier, bought an existing mill on the banks of the Gasconade River near Crocker, Mo, where he raised his family, and where their house still stands today.

Mom was also born in Missouri, but they moved to Oklahoma in a covered wagon when she was 5. In 1905, when she was 9, her family pioneered into the panhandle of Oklahoma, again moving in a covered wagon, and lived in a sod house, complete with a dirt floor, for the first year they were there. They gathered "chips", sometimes know as meadow muffins, to burn for both heat and cooking.

My sister and I were both born at home, in Oklahoma, in a house that had "a little brown shack out back". We burned coal to heat the house, and Mom cooked on a kerosene stove. Dad put in a huge garden every spring, as did mom's younger brother and his wife, who lived about 5 miles from us and on a farm. Once things began to ripen in the gardens, every weekend was spent at one place or the other, and was devoted to harvesting and canning.

We had a wall crank phone, and were on a party line, like everyone else. The switchboard was in the living room of the lady who was the phone operator, and I can still see her taking rings and pulling and plugging in cords to make connections for the callers, while she chatted with the caller, and visited with friends.

When I was 5 years old, we moved to central Texas, where I was raised and educated; and where I learned to fish and hunt. After completing my graduate studies, my wife and I moved to the Houston area, where I have since lived, and where we raised our family. Unfortunately, the mother of my sons is no longer with me.

I will be attending my 55th high school class reunion in June.

Had a comment, But it slipped my mind,yeap,yeap,yeap

you know you're a dinosaur when all the checkout clerks ask if they've made your grocery bags too heavy and never ask if you need help out, just do it.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Blog Entries

Default kids

In one of my previous jobs, I was telling my senior IT guy about how I actually had an intern in the past that asked me if I knew that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings.

After a few awkward seconds of that deer in headlights look, he finally asked, "Who is Paul McCartney". If he wasn't so talented with hardware, I'd have had to let him go for that. I did however move him to a different department for a while. After I left the company they put him in charge of IT. They are doomed. Some things in life require the temperament and experience that only time can provide.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Great article, Ladyfisher........I LOVE being a dinosaur...................ModocDan

Deanna,
    Thanks for the walk, it was great fun. I'm a dinosaur and proud of it, now, if the fish would just recognize my great predator prowess and let me catch them...

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread