+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's VISE

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Not vice.

A VISE grips a hook;
    A vice grips you.

Carry on.
    Only in the US. One of those spellings that Mr. Webster simplified for the colonials.
    Bob

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    Incorrect. Don't believe me? Check Merriam-Webster, OED, or any other decent dictionary. On the other side of the Atlantice "vice" is the more common usage.
    Correct... Sort of....

This page describes Vise this way...

A vise or vice (see American and British English spelling differences) is a mechanical screw apparatus used for holding or clamping a work piece to allow work to be performed on it with tools such as saws, planes, drills, mills, screwdrivers, sandpaper, etc. Vises usually have one fixed jaw and another, parallel, jaw which is moved towards or away from the fixed jaw by the screw.

It is necessary to follow the link at (see American and British English spelling differences) to see this.

It does show that vice is the U.K. spelling and vise is the U.S. spelling with this explanation.

"The two-jawed workbench tool. Americans and Canadians retain the very old distinction between vise (the tool) and vice (the sin, and also the Latin prefix meaning a "deputy"), both of which are vice in the U.K. and Australia.[140] Thus, we have Vice-Admiral, Vice-President, and Vice-Principal, but never "Vise-" for any one of these."

So while the Brits may use vice as the spelling for the tool, those of us on the west side of the pond have it right. Vise is the original spelling and should therefore be considered correct.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Did you know that the person who said, "versa visa" actually got it visa versa? I get so confused.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

If you're an American, learn to spell like one.

Do us all a "favor."

In addition, nuts and bolts get loose - you don't loose your freakin wallet.

Carry on.

Cold Guest

Thanks for the klarifikashuns, veary nise ov yoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post
    Thanks for the klarifikashuns, veary nise ov yoo.
    No problem. I'm here to help.

Blog Entries

Wink

Attention!

From now on, all posts will be graded for spelling, punctuation, grammar, and use of words only found in 1959 or earlier editions of the Oxford English Dictionary. Such grading will be accomplished by each individual poster's third grade English teacher. For those whose teachers are no longer with us, or who did not HAVE a third grade English teacher, such as our numerous members from countries where English is not the primary language, that task will be performed either by their grandchildren's teacher(s), or by self-appointed members of FAOL. No alternative forms of words will be allowed. No words found in common verbal communication, but not in the aforementioned tome, will be allowed.

Such grades will be added to the poster's profile, so that those people who care about spelling, punctuation, grammar, and the ossification of language over the actual information contained in posts can judge posters based on these criteria.

Those who only use Latin will receive extra credit. This offer excludes Papal officials.

Carry on.

DG (or possibly D- G)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    No problem. I'm here to help.
    Dont twist them so tightly on the ends.....they draw better!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    I have a fly tying vise and a fly tying vice.
    Me too. I 've been gripped by both of them.

Ed

I''m OK with the Brits spelling vise with a c. What I could never understand was how they get AL-YOU-MINIUM, out of aluminum. Makes me want to bang my head on a rock. Maybe if I bought an alyouminium vice, I'd understand. Or not.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

+ Reply to Thread