+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: El cheapo digital camera for fly tying?

Default El cheapo digital camera for fly tying?

Several folks here take pictures of their flies and some even make video. Most of these pictures even look good! The camera I have now fails hard when trying to take such close-up pictures, so I'm looking for a new one.

Does anyone here have actual and good experience with a specific and cheap (read that as $80 or less for the whole outfit) digital camera that will let me take clear photos of flies I've tied?

Bonus points if there's a way I can shoot video too, either storing it on a card or using it like a webcam, but that's just not a hard requirement.

Thanks!

Cold Guest

Any modern digital camera *can* do that, usually with a rudimentary video feature as well.

Until recently, any and all of my fly pictures were taken with a fairly old 4.0 MP Kodak C330. It wasn't the best, but it got the job done. Up that close, it's autofocus had trouble deciding what to grab.

A few months back, I upgraded to a new Pentax WS80, mostly because it's waterproof. its macro focus is also much better than the Kodak's.

For your money, there's several inexpensive brands on the market, but for another 20-30 you could get an entry-level compact from a great name (read: Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc) that would probably serve you well in a variety of other needs as well.

As you search, the main things you're looking for is a good macro option (with a fairly low minimum focusing distance) and an adjustable white balance (custom is ideal, but a tungsten & a fluorescent preset are okay too). A shake-reduction feature is nice too, but not absolutely necessary.

More important than the camera, though, is the photographer and his technique.

For quick shots of flies, I'll just switch to macro focus, set my white balance, and shoot away, but if I want a really nice shot, I'll use a mini-tripod and use a 2 sec. timer to totally eliminate shake, meaning the camera can use a slower shutter speed without blurring the picture.

TIP: If your autofocus wont seem to grab your fly, back up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold View Post
    More important than the camera, though, is the photographer and his technique.
    I've had good success in the past with SLR cameras, even learning about things like apature settings and depth of field. Alas, this was years ago and I got out of photography back when the best digital camera still couldn't compare to film and cost a minimum of a $1000.

I'm just a caveman and this modern technology frightens me.

Cold Guest

Well, you wont get options like aperture & shutter priority on 85-90% of P&S cameras on the market, and certainly not on anything in the sub-$150 range, so you need not worry about controlling DoF because it aint gonna happen.

If you're *only* shooting flies with it, all you really need is a decent macro option.

I'm not really familiar with the sub-100 cameras, as when I was doing my search, I was only concerned with waterproof models, which started at about 140 and went up. Still, I'd consider a WP model if I were you, for the added option of taking it fishing with you and not having to worry about it taking a dunking (heck, a WP model would *encourage* you to give it a dunking!). At that $140 price point is a Fuji model which, for the price, isnt bad at all.

Still, you mentioned the $80 target range, and I hate it when ya ask for that and people only talk about things that double that range. Another idea is to wait for the bigger names to replace the current line with the next one, which will probably have retailers marking down the stuff that's to be replaced.

Normand Guest

what would be wrong with finding a digicam that has a good af mode vs a macro mode to shoot fly fotos. i use that with my optio w30.
    Last edited by Normand; 01-14-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Gotta have a macro setting or be able to do close up focusing.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    what would be wrong with finding a digicam that has a good af mode vs a macro mode to shoot fly fotos. i use that with my optio w30.
    I don't suppose anything would be intrinsically wrong with that. But what I'm looking for here is someone who says "Hi. I'm using Blah Blah Specific Camera. It fits your price range and it works very well."

Searching for the Optio w30 gives me a price of between $300 and $400, which is decidedly not "$80 or less".

Cold Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    The W30 has macro mode. If you dont use it for taking pictures of flies, you should. That's what it's for.

Searching for the Optio w30 gives me a price of between $300 and $400, which is decidedly not "$80 or less".
    Maybe when it came out...maybe. Currently, the newest cameras in that line, the W80 and WS80, are less than that, at ~$250.

Normand Guest

heres a nikon coolpix that has a macro down to 2 inches. should be good for fly fotos. 89 bucks

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+-+...&skuId=9220167

When I was searching for a camera for my son for Christmas I found a great selection as well as the best prices at Amazon, give them a try. I agree with the camp that says to look for the best macro feature you can find in your price range.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread