+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My frist lime trude

Post My frist lime trude

As a new tyer, I will appreciate your evlauation and suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Owlman

Excellent fly, maybe a bit more calf-tail for the wing and just a touch shorter. I would probably use a shorter hackle - about 1 1/2 times the gape of the hook, but I can't be too critical, this is a great looking fly and it will catch fish, no doubt!

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Flyfish4troutguy Guest

Your hackle looks long because you turned it the wrong way, always make sure you turn so the feather fibres lean back towards the hook of the fly, they will sit a lot better as well. Strip one side of the feather as well to make hacle less sparse, helps the fly sink better.

All these tips have been ones i have been giving and stressed on a lot for beginners.

Mike

I agree with Kelly - a little fuller and shorter for the wing. I can get the tips pretty even (for calf tail) if I comb and stack (using my largest stacker). I fish my Trudes dry so I'd make the hackle denser, and a little shorter. Nice tie - it will definitely catch fish.

Regards,
    Scott

Default Nice fly!

That is a well tied fly. I do agree with Kelly on the length of the wing and the size of the hackle. If you are going to fish this fly in rough waters, a few more turns of hackle would not hurt either.

What material did you use for the body? Looks like vernille or micro chenille? I like the segmented look it gives to the fly. I just wonder how a chenille body on a dry fly compares to a dubbing body?

Alberto

Post Thanks for all the help!

Your responses were just what I needed! As soon as the picture appeared up on my post, I noticed that the wing was too long and you're right, it could be fuller. As soon as I read the post pointing out the hackle pointing in the wrong direction, I saw what you meant and the comment that a bit more hackle would help on swift water makes good sense. I saw this pattern tied by Mike Holt on his Maine Rotary Tying website and wanted to give it a try. The body of the fly is micro chenille and I, too, like the segmented look it gives it. As to the endurance of chenille, perhaps more experienced tyers on this board will have some insight. Thanks again for your comments and I welcome comments to keep coming. You all will help me become a better tyer; that is my goal.

Mike Holt's site:
    URL="http://www.rotaryflyting.com/index.php?option=com.frontpage&itemid=1

My only suggestion is keep up the good work. Great looking fly!

Quote Originally Posted by owlman View Post
    Your responses were just what I needed! As soon as the picture appeared up on my post, I noticed that the wing was too long and you're right, it could be fuller. As soon as I read the post pointing out the hackle pointing in the wrong direction, I saw what you meant and the comment that a bit more hackle would help on swift water makes good sense. I saw this pattern tied by Mike Holt on his Maine Rotary Tying website and wanted to give it a try. The body of the fly is micro chenille and I, too, like the segmented look it gives it. As to the endurance of chenille, perhaps more experienced tyers on this board will have some insight. Thanks again for your comments and I welcome comments to keep coming. You all will help me become a better tyer; that is my goal.

Mike Holt's site:
    URL="http://www.rotaryflyting.com/index.php?option=com.frontpage&itemid=1
    Wing, hackle, you've got all that. Nothing to add.

Why the use of chenille? Chenille soaks up water. For a better floating fly, use dubbing.

Cold Guest

Yes, do you plan to use this wet or dry? Makes a huge difference as far as suggestions concerning hackle and body materials.

Looks great. Fish won't know the difference........
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread