+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: streamer recipe

Default streamer recipe

Does anyone have a good recipe for small streamers for trout? Any pics would be helpful.

Small bucktails have always worked well for me. A black nosed dace or mickey fin can be tied as small as size fourteen for trout or panfish. Smaller than that I just use nymphs. Small wooly bugers are good too. Use the fuzzy material from the base of your hackle feather for the tail instead of marabou
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Ken Y,

Not sure what you call a "streamer" because when the word "Streamer" is mentioned, there are a lot of flies that are called "streamers" and may not be what you are looking for. For instance, a woolly bugger is called a "bugger" by some and a "streamer" by others.

Here is a web site that has some good fly patterns that I have been using for a couple years and they are all good producers. Be sure to check out his "Favorite Flies" section and look at his "Woodchuck Special" streamer and the "Hare and Herl" pattern. The "Hare and Herl" is what I call a small streamer and it is a good one. The "Woodchuck Special" pattern states hook sizes 6 to 10 but remember that it can be tied on a smaller hook by just downsizing the material used. Take a look at this site and enjoy it! By the way, make sure to tie up some on his "Mini Jigs" because they sure have caught me a lot of fish over the years.

http://www.fishingwithflies.com/
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

This looks interesting to me though I've not fished it...

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=24897

Ken, go look in the fly archives on this site and you'll find everything you're looking for and then some.
    Good luck,

Kelly
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I've had very good luck with a mohair leech and a Crappie Candy. The leech I tie on a 3xl or so hook, bright orange bead head, brown marabou tail, and maroon mohair. Size 8 for warmwater, 12 for trout. It is very simple, but definitly catches a LOT of fish!

I agree with the info presented so far. I would consider a trude type fly as a sort of streamer and it can be tied quite small. Do a google image search for trude and you will find some info. In addition take a look at this week's fly of the week. You might find that a pattern of interest.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Y View Post
    Does anyone have a good recipe for small streamers for trout? Any pics would be helpful.
    Ken -

Follow the link.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...tw20090921.php

John
    The fish are always right.

Thanks for the links.

My go to streamer is the Shenk's White Minnow in 10.

http://www.glennriver.com/Fly%20Kits...ite_minnow.htm
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

+ Reply to Thread