+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What next?

Default What next?

My wife bought me a vise for Christmas. I'm at a loss as far as what else I'm gonna need. I know that in a year or two my version of need will be much different than it is today, but I'm okay with knowing that my slightly obsessive nature when it comes to fishing related stuff is my only real fault in life. ha ha ha. Soooo, what do I really need to get now. What type of tools will I need as well as basic materials? I plan on tying nymphs(probably hares ear, pheasant tails, and stone flies to start), dries(nothing too small), spinners, streamers and probably some bass bugs. I have roughly a $200 budget for my getting started kit. Is one place better than another for supplies? I appreciate any and all tips and help, including what tools I can make or substitute with an item thats not tagged for fly fishing but does the same thing.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Check out the beginner section of this site on fly tying first.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Normand Guest

check out your local fly shop for some tying lessons. they will be sure to provide the necessary tools and how to use them

'fool,

I'll echo what hungNtree and Normand said. There's a wealth of information on this site. Plus, I know personally the benefit of taking lessons from the local shop. You might also want to check with a local fly fishing club. Our club presents tying lessons on a regular basis at a very economical price.

That said, your basic set up (now that you have your vise) should include: scissors, bobbin, hairstacker, bodkin, hackle pliers, and whip finish tool. Charlie Craven's book, "Basic Fly Tying," and Skip Morris' book, "Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple," are two excellent starting sources.

Have fun! Be warned... you've started down a path from which you may not return

John

To elaborate on what John said.

You can use one of those electrician's test clips in place of a hackle plier. For any number of things, they work better than the real thing.

If you are going to be using hair, consider a small static free comb to get the underfur and shorter hairs out before you stack the hair.

There are different methods of threading a bobbin. Some folks can suck the thread through. I've never had much luck trying that. Those little wire bobbin threaders with a plastic ball on the end work best for me.

Can't think of any other essentials offhand, but if I do ..... like some kind of head cement.

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

hNt is right. Start with the beginning fly tying section on this site to get a clue as to what you will need.

All you really need for tools to go with your vise to start is a bobbin or two and a GOOD pair of scissors. Get two pair. One, you keep for fine work. The other you use for clipping feathers, Ultra Wire, and the like. A bobbin threader is nice as you will be breaking your thread a lot to start with. A bodkin and maybe a nice rotary hackle plier. Those are the tools I use the most. I have never used the whip finish tool as I do it by hand.

I wouldn't go wild in the materials section of the local fly shop just yet. You will wind up with a boatload of stuff you will never use. As you decide what fly to tie next, buy the materials for that fly in a copule of color combos. You will soon find you have a great selection of materials but are always short something for that next great fly.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

NOOOOOOOOOO! Quickly! Throw blanket over it, and RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!! Don't look back!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I agree with the idea of going to a fly shop for lessons. I'm self taught and it shows, believe me. Luckily the fish don't mind. If you are near the Lancaster area of PA, check the Evening Rise for their schedule on lessons.

The best advice I can give is to take your time and enjoy yourself. Much like learning to cast, the first tying efforts usually come out a mess; looking a little pre-chewed. You will be amazed how those awful looking flies can catch a fish, though, so keep 'em all.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

When you do buy tools, don't buy the cheapest thing on the rack. When I first started, I had a lousy bobbin that broke the thread often. I thought it was me and almost quit tying. Then, on a whim, I bought a good ceramic bobbin and life was good.

After you have purchased your hand tools for tying, I would strongly recommend the following fly kits for starters. They will give you the hooks and materials needed to tie at least a dozen flys plus a picture step-by-step tying instructions. These kits are great for the beginner because you will see what material you need to purchase to tie more of each pattern. This keeps you from purchasing feathers, dubbing, etc. that you will not use or not know what to do with them once purchased. These kits are a great start to beginner tyers.

The link I am providing is from Hook and Hackle and they are a great sponsor of FAOL and great to deal with.

Tie-a-Fly

Fly Tying Material Kits

All the materials needed to tie 12 flies of the pattern of each kit. Hooks, thread, winging material, body material, other feathers and hackle as required.

With instructions and illustrations. A pre-tied fly (included) can be used as a model. Valuable for the beginner, a time saver for the experienced tier. Twelve patterns available.

Each kit is $19.95

Item No. Pattern/Sizes
    TAF0001 Winged Black Ant/12-14
    TAF0002 Light Cahill/12-16
    TAF0003 Royal Wulff/12-16
    TAF0004 Adams/12-16
    TAF0005 Yellow Humpy/12-16
    TAF0006 Elk Hair Caddis/12-16
    TAF0007 Parachute Adams/12-16
    TAF0008 Olive Wooly Bugger/8-10
    TAF0009 Black Woolly Bugger/8-10
    TAF0010 Gold Ribbed Hares Ear/12-16
    TAF0011 Pheasant Tail Nymph/12-16
    TAF0012 All Purpose Nymph/12-16
    TAF0013 Prince Nymph/12-16
    TAF0014 Orange & Golden Olive Stimulators/10-14

Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread