+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To everyone who got fly tying kit for Chistmass

It is truly one of the only hands on, year round hobby,s and remember beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Hi Ho Hi Ho it's off to Bass Pro I go... Need 6 bx of hooks assorted sizes, assorted capes, and a new pair of scissors.

Will be tying flies while working nights all week long.
    Remember we all live down stream

Default Greetings ....

Rev Dan, and welcome from SW Montana.

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

John
    The fish are always right.

That is a tip that is 20 some-odd years too late. Now I'm in a 12-step program for chronic fly-tyers, but to no avail. I can't even sit and watch the news anymore without getting bobbin and scissors in hand. I'm sure if my local fly shop, Jimmy's All Season Anglers in Idaho Falls, ID, ever had a supplier issue all he would have to do is call me and I could help him keep his shelves stocked for a good long time - that's what my wife thinks anyway...

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Hi All,

The additiction gets worse. You will spend time in Walmarts looking in the crafts department. Your wife will wonder about you when you want to go to fabric stores and craft stores with her, and she will be really shocked when you suggest that you go to such when you are out and about.

You will end up buying different colors of finger nail polish, beads, and even go to the counters to ask about seldom sold craft items, items which the clerk has never sold to a man.

Face it you will be sick....sick....sick.

As the old saying goes: Give a man a fish and you feed him for one day, but teach him to tie flies and he will spend a good deal of time in his basement ignoring his personal hygiene.

Welcome to the obsession!

Regards,

Gandolf

Blog Entries

What ever you do dont buy anyone the labador pocket flytieing kit. it was two of them that got me hooked. next thing you know i'm making bobben holers out of copper tubing and spring steel spending hours trolling this site and others learning about tieing. the someone sends you a vice and materals and your off. now i spend 4-8 hours a day tying flies and even go to the book store and sit in the cafe and tie flies. as people watch me. my girlfriend is trying to get me to sell my flies online just to see the pile of flies lessin its wonderful

Rev. Dan welcome to the loony bin! I mean FAOL.

Jack's right there, my first fly fishing trip was with him. I caught 5 rainbow! I had the first hooked for afew minutes but that duck river bow hooked me for life!!
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Smile

Welcome to fly tying Rev. Dan. Beware that one enters this fraternity at your own risk!! I got my fly tying kit last Christmas and I think it made the year go faster! My good wife, who has the patience of Job, often walks by my bench, smiles and shakes her head usually without uttering a word. On a few occasions she has asked with surprise, how can chicken feathers cost so much? and how many feathers do you need? But, it was awesome when I landed my first trout on a fly that I tied...that was worth it all. I think even my wife was impressed! Happy New Year!

Smile

The disease is definitely chronic and not curable. I started upon military discherge in 1950 and am still at it. I don't even fly fish any more because I couldn't handle wading on those slippery "door knobs" and "bowling balls" but I still enjoy tying. My latest cycle of activity involves finding places to store more new stuff that I don't need. Maybe we could start a Fly Tiers Anonymous like the alcoholics have.

Blog Entries

Fly Tyer's Anonymous - what a great recruiting tool for new tyers...

<stands up, head hanging, no eye contact>
    "Hi my name is Ed, I started tying at age 12."
    <sits down>
    <the assemblage drones> "Hi Ed"
    <one member quietly threads a bobbin>
    <all move to the tables and set up their tying stations...>

Ed

+ Reply to Thread