+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spend my money, please......

Default Spend my money, please......

Hi folks:

Got a real nice Christmas bonus this year, some of which I'm planning to spend on myself.....here's the situation:

Looking at a 7 ft 6 in 3 wt rod for my small-stream brook trout excursions up here in the Adirondacks of northern NY....I can't ? or haven't been able to ? make that psychological leap to something extremely high-end like ($650-750 range), but am looking at a mid-range rod such as the Scott A3, Winston Vapor or perhaps a custom rod from New York-based JP Ross......However, the Winston deal where you can purchase a high-end rod and get an Ascent for $65 is attractive; I could buy an 8 wt Ascent for steelheading on the Salmon River or for pike and bass on Lake Champlain....

I'd be interested in your thoughts, and feel free to toss a couple other rodmakers into the mix just to get me thinking some more....

Cheers

Bendog

Quote Originally Posted by Bendog View Post
    Looking at a 7 ft 6 in 3 wt rod
    Why don't you just get a Cabela's Three Forks for $50?

Hey Bendog,

Welcome to the site and thanks for posting.

The Winston deal is a hard one to pass up and I know you will be pleased with both rods. My second choice would be a custom rod, you wouldn't be giving up any quality in fact might even gain some. The two for is just too good to pass up.

Good Luck,
    Sean
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

I know you're not wanting to go to the super high end, but if you can, please check out the 8'4" Scott G2 in 3 weight. It is a real sweetheart of a rod. Just a tadd longer than the 7'6" which allows you a little more reach when "high sticking" in the small pocket waters and plunge pools but still short enough to cast when there's room.

Personally, I've found longer rods more versatile on the closed in streams than the short ones. If the overhangs and brush are too tight to cast, you're not really going to cast with a 7'6" either, but the shorter rod can't "dapple" a fly into a plunge pool as effectively as a little longer one.

If you're looking into the Winston deal, which is a great deal, I really like my Winston BIIt 9' 4wt. I know it's too long and heavy for what you want, but if you can check out the BIIt series, there are some really nice rods there.

Jeff

If you want a headache - Hexagraph.

John

P.S. Welcome to the Bulletin Board from SW Montana.
    The fish are always right.

You can buy the Ascent's for $295 each....buy one of each size you want and save a few pennies...and BOTH would have the lifetime guarantee...

Blog Entries

Not sure if you are looking for us to suggest new rods to buy or if you are looking to buy a used rod. For what you are looking at I would seriously suggest and heartily endorse the Cortland "Brook Series" rods. I know there may be some concern that I'm suggesting a "Wal Mart Special" but these rods are a sweet little tool! They are under $200, very light, well balanced, and have very good power as well. There are a nice range of sizes and wts. including I believe a 7' 3wt. I have a 8' 4wt that I absolutely love and it is my "go to" rod on smaller open streams. I am also about to purchase a 10' 4 or 5 wt.

I see that you are considering the Ross rods, I have an 8'6" 3/4 weight. Nice rod, but never took it out of the case since I got the Cortland. I also have a 7'6" Loomis Experience in 4wt. Again a nice rod but usage has dropped since I got the Cortland.

There is no way you'll regret the Winston...I'm totally in love with my 5 weight. I also have a 7' something (9'' maybe) TFO finess 3 weight that's a sweet little rod , too! Small steam brookies and bluegills off a dock are great fun on that one.

look at the mcfarland rods. stream grade 395.00 great rods!
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Thanks for all the insight.....decisions, decisions.......

+ Reply to Thread