+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furled leader?

Default Furled leader?

I purchased Simple Furled Leaders by Kathy Scott, and found the DVD to be a suitable starting point. What size would you suggest to build the furling board? She provided directions for a 6' version, but it seems others build longer ones in the 8'-12' range. Also, what would the corresponding peg positions be for larger versions? There is a considerable amount of information on the web, but it seems that everyone has their own process. I utilize dries, but primarily nymphs. The following link seems rather comprehensive: http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...ad.php?t=70194 Thanks.

Ron

Ron,

You will really enjoy making and using your own Furled Leaders and you will make them in several lengths before you finally settle on the length that you like to use. The main thing, my opinon only, is to make sure to increase your distances between pegs equally so that you maintain the proper turn-over in the leader.

Like you, I fish nymphs, streamers, buggers and flymphs about 99% of the time and I want my flies to sink as quickly as possible and get down deeper than most people fish them. I have experimented with with just about every material out there and the only material that I have found that meets my standards is Berkley Transition Vanish Gold fluorocarbon in 4 pound test. It must be the "Transition Gold" and not just the Berkley Vanish. The "Transition Gold" sinks faster than any of the other material I have tired. I make my leaders 7' long. I have tried the shorter ones and even though they turn-over fine, I just prefer the 7' length. To this 7' Furled Leader I will attach approximately 6' of tippet. The tippet I use is from a spool of 6 pound fluorocarbon. I purchase the 250 yard spools. I carry one of the smaller "reel filler" spools that usually holds 110 yards of line and keep it filled from the 250 yard spool. I really carry 2 of the smaller spools and have 6 pound test fluorocarbon on one and 4 pound test fluorocarbon on the other. I will use the 6 pound test with every fly I fish except when I decide to swing some wet flies or softhackles. When I decided to swing wets or softhackles, I will attach approximately 2 feet of the 4 pound test to the end of the 6 pound test. I feel the 4 pound test will allow my wet flies, softhackles and midges more freedom of movement.

That's my method and fishing style and now I will give you the distances I use between pegs to make up my 7' Furled Leaders:

Between peg #1 and peg #2 there is 28"
    Between peg #2 and peg #4 there is 33"
    Between peg #4 and peg #3 there is 33"

This makes the total leader before twisting and furling around 94"

After twisting each leg 10% shorter it leaves a length of 84.6" which when divided by 12" equals 7.05". After making the Shorb loop in each end you will have a Furled Leader pretty close to 7'.

Different material will give different lengths but they will all be around 7'.

I hope all of this was helpful and just remember that everyone has their own formulas and you just need to experiment and see what works for you. Remember that my way is just that, "my way". You will just have to find your own way.

If any of this is confusing, just PM me and I will do my best to answer any questions you may have.
    Last edited by WarrenP; 12-15-2009 at 05:32 PM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Re: length....you need to know your storage limitations
    Personally I use 8 feet..let's me make up to seven ft leaders...you can use many different types of boards ...I started with a 1 x3 ...8ft...piece I happened to have...I'll give you what I think is better later...some folks make their boards in 4 ft sections and join them for various lengths.

Re: peg positons...You can use Kathy's and just adjust according to %...lots use 40% 30% 30%....however I would suggest you use Parnelli's "Big Furled Leaders Formula"...do a search on FAOL....its been discussed...

This is what I would suggest you do...just my opinion...others will differ....as you said lots out there.

I would make my board...[see below]....and make some leaders based on Kathy's technique....then you can see if you want to move on...

Consider twisting both legs at the same time...

Consider going motorized

Consider using a swivel setup at the tippet end ...so you don't have to hang your board...everything done horizontal

Re; what to use...if you are nymphing use fluorocarbon...for dries most folks use uni thread.....personally I would start with Coats and Clark Embroidery thread till I was comfortable with my skill...less expensive but works fine.

Now for the board ...I submit to you that the following board is as inexpensive ...quick to do...and versatile as any ...the pegs require a little ....

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a 4 x4 plain pegboard....you could get 4 x8 pegboard but it is more money and a little harder to handle....

Have the store cut the pegboard into strips of equally spaced 5 rows of holes....you will be adjoining these 4 ft lengths...I mounted them on an 8ft 1X3 fir strip...you can always add another 4 ft extension if you want.

Hope these pictures help...

In the first picture it's the middle one I'm taking about ...the one on the right uses slots..

Last edited by ducksterman; 12-15-2009 at 05:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread