+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Small stream rod

Default small rod

nautilus...I think I have a 5' to 6' fiberglass fly rod in a 5wt/6wt. Would that work? If I am right, it was a woven glass rod with agate stripper, new guides, new cork and reelseat, new varnish, new bag and new aluminium tube. Cost would be around $100.00.
    If this weight will work, let me know, we'll go from there.

Get ahold of http://midwestcustomflyrods.com/. Build your own on a Tiger Eye blank. You won't be disappointed. I built one and it's a dandy.
    Last edited by Lotech; 12-14-2009 at 02:19 AM.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    LL Bean Streamlight 5' 9" 3wt in a 2 piece for $99...

They also have the Streamlight 5' 9" 2 piece rod combo which has the rod, reel, line and reel-on-rod cordura case for $159...These are really nice combos and pretty good quality in the entire outfit.

I have no connection with LL Bean except being a satisfied customer of the Streamlight combo..
    I have a Streamlight 9' 5 wt. I know this isn't what you want, just stating this for help on that particular line of rods. I've beat the crap out of this rod and it keeps on fishin! Not the most sensitive rod in the world but it certainly holds up well. I'd think a shorter version in a 3wt would be a good rod and probably much more sensistive.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Default Small stream rod

Thanks guys for the replies and the offers. I am still searching for the ideal rod. I cast a 6' 6" 4wt. St. Croix avid and really like it so this may end up being the rod for me. Until I make the purchase I am going to continue searching for a smaller / better option. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by nautilus View Post
    Thanks guys for the replies and the offers. I am still searching for the ideal rod. I cast a 6' 6" 4wt. St. Croix avid and really like it so this may end up being the rod for me. Until I make the purchase I am going to continue searching for a smaller / better option. Thanks again.
    My wife's fav rod is a 8 1/2 ft-4wgt St Croix Avid I built for her. Dont know what a guy could ask for any better in a small stream rod than an Avid..???

How SMALL of streams are you fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    My wife's fav rod is a 8 1/2 ft-4wgt St Croix Avid I built for her. Dont know what a guy could ask for any better in a small stream rod than an Avid..???

I fish some really small Pa mountain streams that are overgrown and a pain with a longer rod. I have not owned a rod smaller than a 7' 3wt. but have cast a few rods under 6'6" lately and I liked them. My current small stream rod is a 7' 3 wt and its a great rod for fishing Tricos etc. but I mainly fish streamers for Brookies and a soft full flexing 3 wt. doesnt get it done for me.

Blog Entries

I just saw some 4.5 foot rods at globaldorber , a sponsor of this site!

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post

I agree Sully! Such a silky smooth rod! I have the 7'6" 4 weight factory rod and just love it. It fishes so much shorter than it actually is yet can reach out there. Oh, and it's purdy!

For something that short, and you mentioned glass, check out Steffan Brothers. Good prices and great rods. S-glass is what Mark rolls them from. A very well respected name in contemporary glass
    http://www.steffenbrothersflyrods.co...rglassrods.htm

Lightbulb TL Johnson

I have a 7' 2 wt from TL Johnson and highly recommend it. I use it extensively in the Shenandoah in similar situations - the rod is well balanced and the action is crisp. TL Johnson also offers a 6'6" 2 wt (http://www.tljohnsoncompany.com/legacy.html). While I was looking for a shorter rod, I find that 7' seems just right for the tight spots yet with enough power in the rod to get a 30' delicate cast in those rare, still pools. The service during the order was excellent!

Just a thought.

+ Reply to Thread