+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using a fly reel. Help needed!

Default Using a fly reel. Help needed!

Well i took the plunge and picked up a 9wt Sage Launch for 75.00. It was on the close out rack and was the last one they had and they took my offer. Well now he is the tough part. How does one use a fly reel. I will be fishing reds on the Kenai in Alaska. I have fished them the last few years on a spinning reel. Whith a fly reel do you let them take drag on a run like with a spining reel? How do you wind them in? I fished a lot with a fly rod as a kid buy that was for small trout and panfish in MN. There i had an automatic fly reel. Guys i need some help here!

Default Tips

First, read the instructions on how the reel is made.
    Second, decide whether you want to reel right or left handed. Follow the instructions to make a change.
    Third, set the drag appropriately to your tippet. You can test tippet against the drag just by pulling and making sure the tippet doesn't break before the drag releases line.
    Fourth, learn to palm the spool. You can gently add additional drag by palming the spool.
    Fifth, make sure your line is wound evenly (level) on the spool. Use a finger to guide the line back and forth as you reel in.
    Sixth -- and this should probably be first -- learn good knots to attach the line to the backing and the leader to the line. Leader to line can be loop to loop and leader to backing is probably going to be a nail knot.

On top of the info you gather here it also helps to visit your local fly shop.

CoachBob pretty much explained everything, also try casting your fly rod and practice retriving the line so you can get an idea or what you're going to be dealing with. If the fish makes a run be careful with the handle of the fly reel, just saying. Tons of luck on your fishing trip.
    I believe I can fly fish

First off, ... Welcome aboard!
    Second ... WOW!!! good deal on a very nice rod!

As for your questions, ... for salmon, yes, you'll want to fight the salmon off of the reel. That is to say, you'll let the drag on the reel put on tension rather than stripping in line by hand.

I set the drag on the reel to just stop it from backspinning when I give the line a real hard, violent jerk. Once you're connected to a run away salmon, the simple movement of lifting the rod to the vertical will put extra friction on the line against the guides.

A fly rod is more fragile than a spinning rod. NEVER lift the rod past vertical. You should keep the rod at 90 degrees to the line.

Andre M holding a salmon in the current.
    With this much line tension, you can't pull past vertical or the rod tip WILL snap.

To reel in line, you just have to crank. When the salmon runs TOWARDS you, you'll be cranking as fast as you can!

Best of luck!
    Christopher Chin

And NEVER grab the rod ABOVE the cork grip ( El Snapo) unless you want it in more pieces that you bought it.

I always adjust my drag also to keep it from free spooling ( talk about a mess!!) and dont go tighter unless I know Im after larger fish. Small stream fish, close to home here..it stays at minimum....when I go west to fish and MIGHT get into a decent sized trout...I tighten it down a tad.

+ Reply to Thread