+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quabbin Reservoir

Default Quabbin Reservoir

Does any one here fish the Quabbin Reservoir? I have been thinking about fishing it this year and would appreciate any advice. Thanks, Aaron

Years ago when I lived in Ayer and later in Pepperell Mass, I used to fish with a fellow who used to troll big streamers on lead core sinking flyline, behind a Jon Boat w/an electric motor on the Q. Pretty pretty boring fishing, but trout none the less.

------------------
    Clint

I feel closer to HIM when I'm fishing.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

I used to fish the Quabbin quite a bit. I didn't make it out there this season. Never tried it with a fly however. Depending on when you get there, you might be dodging guys trolling deep for lakers. If you aren't set up for that, I recomend chasing something else. And staying out of their trolling lanes. There is a good bass population, pike, white perch, sunfish, just about everything you are looking for. If you are going with your fly rod I would try any good bait fish patterns you have. Can't go wrong anywhere with a wooly bugger.

Anyway, good luck out there.

Gregg

------------------
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
    - General George Patton (1885-1945)

I fished it for a few seasons when I was going to UMass a few years ago.

I pretty much targeted smallmouths, and there are alot of them in some of the coves.

I fished from shore, casting buggers and letting them sink before stripping them in, varying retrieves.

Only challenge with this is, fishermen are forbidden from wading. This can make for challenging casting. As I recall, I still did OK. Smallmouth fishing is best from shore in May and June, when fish are in shallows.

If you have a boat and get the proper permit, you should do well. There are also lakers and landlocks in there.

Quabbin is a beautiful place... actually real big water. You'll feel like you're in northern Maine once you get back in there.

rjj

[This message has been edited by rjj (edited 09 January 2006).]

Quabbin--no help with todays fishing. I used to fish the Swift River before they cleared the land,built the dam and floaded my dads summer place in Pelham Hollow.

------------------
    Bill

I have a 14' canoe. (do they carge for you to launce your own boat?) I'd like to go for pike, I tried the St.Lawrence river last year, but got there too early. Sounds like it could be fun.

You can only launch the canoe in the cove on the N.E. section of the Quabbin. It is a good warm water fishery. I never have fished that section of the Quabbin. All I can say is I am one who fishes there but rarely catches there. But then who does using a flyrod looking for lakers and landlocked.

jed

I am a long time lurker "coming out of the closet", so to speak. Since I live about five miles south of the Quabbin, I thought I could add to the info you received.

You can launch a canoe only at the Pottapaug Pond section at Gate 43. There is a fee, but I'm not sure what it is. The "Paug" is a relatively shallow area that provides a decent warmwater fishery. Despite what was stated in an earlier post, there are no pike in Quabbin.

+ Reply to Thread