+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: small saddle hackle

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Bum View Post
    They make a wooly bugger saddle that will easily tie down to a 16. I bought one in black.

TB

Can you tell me where you bought it? Thanks

i have a couple of cabelas saddles, one black , one olive. they were about $22 each. ive been using them for the hackle on a ,"birds stone", down to size 14, and they seem to work fine. ive been considreing getting a few more colors for tying wets. the hackle is a little stiffer than what i would prefer, but better than any alternatives ive come across.

Bill Keough has some excellent saddles, some of which will go down to 14 no problem. You should be able to get them via The Fly Shop (Redding, CA) or Cabelas (house brand I think). However, you will need to be able to inspect the saddle yourself or at least have someone knowledgeable pick it out of stock for you, so the Fly Shop is probably a better choice. Keough's stuff is available all over, so if you look around a bit you might be able to find some locally. For smaller than 14, I use a Metz "Micro-barb" saddle or a Whiting hen cape.

Default Conranch

I have used Denny's Juvenille hens and they are likely great for what you want. If you talk to him he has some colors you won't find very often. Kind of like "Be the first guy on your street to own a chocolate such and such"
    Seafoam

Default Another Vote for Conranch

JV Hen Hackle is the cats arse in my opinion. I just tied a few buggers and a dozen soft hackles this evening with that very product and they look great if I dont say so myself. Give him a call- you will be VERY happy. Take care and good luck on the water.

What both the other 2 above said, all you gotta do is ask him.. Premium stuff, sounds like you have spent more shopping around and were unsatisfied. Been there, done that. Conranch is your solution. Be prepared to spend 10-15 minutes talking hackle, he knows his field inside and out and i like that
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Default I like to use Whiting Herbert Miner Hen Necks

I fish Wooly Buggers in those sizes almost all the time - my favorite hackle for tying them is from Whiting Farms - it is the Herbert Miner hen necks - tons of feathers in the 12-16 count. I have not used any of Denny's hackle so I can't compare though.

Here is a photo of a Mini Bugger tied on a size 14, 2XL hook - the hackle is from a Dark Dun Herbert Miner neck:

Alberto
    Last edited by Alberto; 11-21-2009 at 06:53 PM.

the conranch jv looks great!
    aquabone.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I have trouble finding small saddles as well. Here's how I solved the problem. Buy craft fur in the colors you need, and use it in a dubbing loop for the hackle. It works even better than feathers on small flies..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    I have trouble finding small saddles as well. Here's how I solved the problem. Buy craft fur in the colors you need, and use it in a dubbing loop for the hackle. It works even better than feathers on small flies..
    Take some pictures and fly of the week it, too great a tip to go away.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread