+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it just Orvis?

I look at this like I would replacing a computer.

My old 2 gig computers cost around $2,000!!

Today you can get something much, much, much better for $500. I'd rather them replace my $2,000 computer with a $500 one.

Maybe the price has just come down?? Maybe the new ones are better??? Maybe not??

Maybe I'm nuts...........
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I would want a written copy of the warranty infront of me and then I would call corporate and start asking questions not your local shop.

Rick

First off, as I mentioned on the Helios/Hydros thing, they put less expensive hardware on the T3 and lowered the price. Granted the blank is the same, but how long is it going to be around.

I would also like to point out, the rod did not break. I have broke two rods in.......well, the many years I have been ff.

I would love the Hydros, but like most that buy UPPER end rods will tell you, they are also an investment. Why would I take less?

That is like buying an Escalade, having a problem with it and they give you an Avalanche in exchange. They are very close in look and both nice......BUT?!

The solution to this will be to replace the top two sections with the Titanium guides and not the nickel. Then send them and the two original bottom pieces back to me (same serial #)
    But, then again the question on the future.....what if it does break, and the ZG (at the $600.+ price also)

I like the suggestion of the gift card at replacement value for the rod, but it doesn't sound like what they have to offer satisfies your needs so does that really get you anywhere closer to replacing the rod? I've followed Kelly's path when it comes to rods - last "new" rod I ever purchased was a Cabelas Stowaway for $89.00. I have a few older Sages, a 490 and a 690 RPL, both on their third tip sections, a couple of late 90's Orvis PMs I use for saltwater and a handful I've built (my favorite 4 wt is a Forecast blank that set me back $25.00). I may have to splurge one day and buy one of the Dan Craft blanks; I've heard nothing but good about them. Hope that Orvis does the proper thing and treats a good customer the right way.

Regards,
    Scott

Happens all the time...and, in reality, it's our own perceptions that are at fault.

We want to equate 'cost' with 'value'.

Sometimes, that doesn't work. It's obvious with computers...but fishing equipment, we expect them to keep 'improving' and thus RAISING the prices. If the 'replacement' rod they were offering cost $700+, it would seem to be a 'better' rod, and thus they would be 'upgrading' you. That's a 'deal', you see, and whether or not the rod is actually 'better' would not be an issue to most.

But, the economy has changed...that $610 rod didn't cost Orvis even 10% of that price to make it....they priced it based on what EVERY company tries to do...whatever the market will bear. Now, even though they believe that their newer rods are better, and even if they cost more to produce than that $610 rod, they know that the market won't bear that kind of price. They settle for a lesser profit margin and use the appearance of 'savings' as an advertising point.

Don't know what you are going to do, but unless they can 'repair' your damaged rod, you won't have too many options if they no longer have any of the old ones in stock.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

FG

According to their warranty if they can't repair it they'll choose a current fly fishing rod of at least equal value to replace. To me the key words are at least. So does that mean the value at the time of purchase or value at the time being replaced? I would think value at time of purchase which would mean they should replace it with a ZG Helios.

Post that question to Tom Rosenbauer on their Facebook page and see what kind of reply you get.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

a graphite rod as an investment is foolhardy at best. I can't think of any model from any manufacturer that has increased in value over time.

If you have a T3 and they're going to replace it with a T3, I think that's satisfying the obligation with regards to warranty. Now they're wicked polite and they're not going to say so outright but IMHO I'd be okay with that if it were my rod. Since the Hydros replaces the T3 in their line-up, I'd also be good with that since they are, IMHO, a better casting rod than the T3.

Everything evolves and I think the expectation has to be so when you purchase the rod. It would certainly be a challenge for them to replace an eight year old rod with an eight year old rod.

I had a similar problem this year. I sent in my Silver Label II waders this year for repair. After waiting around for a month I was told they were unrepairable. Since the Silver Label II's have now been replaced by Silver Label III's, that's what they sent as a replacement. A nice gesture I thought at first.

But I hate the Silver Label III's. They have replaced the suspenders with a thin flimsy strap that crosses behind your neck and irritates it. The strap attaches to the waders by looping a velcro fastener through a piece of shock cord that runs around the top edge of the waders. I'm sure that will last all of about three months.

Silver Labels used to come in a nice box. Now they come in a cheap box typical of imported junk. Not that the box is important in and of itself, but it reflects a decline in quality that I've seen in Orvis products over the last few years.

I hate to be an Orvis basher as I've been a long time customer and un-basher, but I just don't know what to make of them anymore.

To answer the original question, it isn't just Orvis. I returned a broken St. Croix spinning rod purchased with a lifetime warranty several years ago. They did not replace the rod and offered a gift certificate for less than the cost of any of their rods. After complaining to the president of the company, he replied the warranty was for the life of the rod.

I now own one St. Croix rod, received as a gift about 1973. None of my friends own any new St. Croix rods. I on the other hand am a huge fan of Orvis because of the service they extended on some waders a couple of year ago. I have told countless people about both incidents.

Apparently it can happen to anyone anywhere.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread