+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Dad and the Kid 2009

Today's report is a hodge-podge at best. We've been out to our favorite spring creek, the South Fork of the Snake River and some of the guys got out to a super-secret spring creek in Montana and caught some real hogs.
    Henry's Lake is out for us due to ice and cold weather, and may be done for the year. The South Fork of the Snake River is fishing really well and we've brought some incredible Browns to hand, but the majority of what we've been catching have been Whitefish. The Browns are on their redds, and those fish we avoid at all costs. We observed a fair amount of Browns on numerous redds in one particular area of the river with some real beasts protecting those precious commodities - we looked, but fished elsewhere - future generations are critical and we want to do everything we can to preserve them.
    Once again I was skunked on my favorite spring. The three guys with me all caught fish, but I couldn't buy even a hit let alone a fish on. Must be losing my touch. I even fished with these guys on the South Fork and all I caught were Whitefish.
    Here are the pics, hope you enjoy them:

Chris and Ryan fished a spring creek in southwest Montana and this was one of the many beasts they caught on that trip:

Another look:

The Kid with a beast from the spring creek - 21-inches

Another look:

Chris with a very nice fish from the spring, caught on a scud imitation:

Another look - we've caught this fish before this year:

Mike and Ryan with a South Fork double:

Another look at Ryan's beastie Brown:

One of the Kid's nice fish:

In the net - a South Fork double!

Well, that was it for the week. Eventful and fun, only problem is that you don't see Dad with any fish.

The weather is changing quickly to cold-weather fishing conditions, the water all over is down to close to winter flows and crystal clear, the fish are in fine form, the leaves have dropped and when the sky spits now it comes down frozen. Won't be long before we'll have snow on the ground to stay and the road to the spring will close. Do not fear that means we'll be spending more time at the Big Lost, South Fork, Birch Creek, and the Vernon Bridge stretch of the Henry's Fork. Changes in the season and the weather require changes in tactics and where we fish, but fish we will and I'll continue to bring you as much as I can from southeast Idaho.

Thanks for looking, Tight Lines!

Kelly.
    Last edited by kglissmeyer; 11-09-2009 at 06:46 PM.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Spring creek again! Man, we have spent a lot of time on this water this year, and it has treated us quite well overall. This week was no exception in quality, but lagged a little in quantity. But, any day you can catch the caliber of fish we caught this week makes it a good outing.
    Same old setup with a parasol, bead-head nymph dropper followed by a scud and it was 'Fish On'!
    It was myself, buddy Buzz, and fishing friends Gary and Tim. I caught two, Buzz hooked several and landed two real trophy fish, but Gary and Tim both got skunked - they hooked fish, but never landed any. In all it was fairly slow, but the two fish Buzz landed made the day a great success.
    Here are pics:

Where we fish - almost winter, in fact, it snowed today...

Fish on...

In the Net!

Buzz, fish #1 - 20-inches

Another look:

Buzz, fish #2 - 19-inches but at least a pound or more heavier than #1

What he was eating -scuds, scuds, and more scuds... He regurgitated at least fifty or so - all scuds:

Handful of scuds from the weedbeds:

Another look at the beautiful beastie:

Another smooth release - look at those colors...

That's it for this report. I don't expect the road to the spring to stay open much longer, but we'll get up there as long as it remains open. The Kid and friends are fishing the South Fork Snake today near Swan Valley, so we'll give you a report on how they did after their return.
    Until then, tight lines everyone!

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Great shots Kelly. Looks like they're still in there. Those scuds look pretty olive. Have you tried a scud pattern tied with olive dub? Keep 'em comin'!
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Default Wow!!!!!

I know a whole bunch of fish that can't wait for the snow to get deep enough to keep you guys away!

N'other great report, thank you.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by crook33 View Post
    I know a whole bunch of fish that can't wait for the snow to get deep enough to keep you guys away!

N'other great report, thank you.

Rich
    Thanks! It's good to give the fish and ole Dad a rest! Got lots of flies to tie.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

Default You have got to see this!!!

I can't belive I didn't post this when my buddy Buzz sent this report to me. He and his friend had an experience of a lifetime at our favorite spring. Buzz said he was fishing as he usually does in the spot that he likes best when he noticed some movement up the hill acroos the way from where he was. The "thing" slithered down the hill to the water's edge but Buzz couldn't make out what it was until it started swimming towards him. Then he heard the critter crying and realized it was a small yearling whitetail fawn crying for its momma.
    Now for the amazing part - thinking that Buzz must have been its momma the deer swam across the spring towards Buzz, passed by him within about 10-feet and scrambled up on shore. Buzz took a few photos while it was swimming, watched it climb out of the water and figured it was gone. Next thing he knew there was a 'bump, bump' on the back of his waders and there the critter stood nosing Buzz in the backside! Buzz actually reached back and scratched it's muzzle. The guys got some great pics and I thought I'd share them here. They only caught one fish for the outing, but what a memorable experience to capture on film.

Here they are:

There you have it. One of the great things about flyfishing is the total experience and you never know what you'll see or do on any given trip. I only wish I could have been there on this day.

Tight Lines,

Kelly
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

That would make a fellas' (or gals) day,week or lifetime....

Amazing what one can find if in the right place at the right time. Of course it helps when the "place " is somewhere like you guys were.

Thank you for sharing this here.
    Rich

Default Momma

Lookes like Buzz was making a great mother, seems as tho that thing wanted to hop in the truck and head home with him as it was one of his own. That is truly amazing, and couldent have gotten any better pics. Maybe next time when im there i can become a mom
    UNITY

Hey Kelly,

Let my wife and kids see the pics of the deer. They fell in love with him. They want to know if the mother ever showed up or if he found her? Thanks for the cute pics, what a great story. You're right about never knowing what will happen on the stream or lake while you're fishing. Thanks again.

Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Hey Kelly,

Let my wife and kids see the pics of the deer. They fell in love with him. They want to know if the mother ever showed up or if he found her? Thanks for the cute pics, what a great story. You're right about never knowing what will happen on the stream or lake while you're fishing. Thanks again.

Beaver
    Beaver, by day's end the fawn had wandered off and they never were able to determine whether momma was found or not. We have all worried about coyotes...

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

+ Reply to Thread