+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Level Leaders

Default Level Leaders

In another post garb72 asked a question in regards to tapered leaders. Since I don't want to change the theme of his post I started this thread with a quote from Buddy Sanders where he responded to garb72's question - Hope you don't mind Buddy:

"All in all, though, absent some odd specific requirements, it's really just a matter of personal choice. There are some very accomplished fly fishermen out there who don't bother with any kind of tapered leader at all. They just use a properly sized level piece of monofilament line."

I am one of those fly fisherman who don't mess with tapered leaders. While I might not be considred very accomplished I catch my fair share of fish using either 4, 6, 8 or 12 lb Stren Mono. What I am curious about is - Am I alone? How many of you other guys just tie on a straight leader and let it fly.

Thanks

Tim

U are Not alone.
    I use some kind of level leader in whatever lb I feel will fit the bill.

It has worked for me and I'm probably not gonna go out and look for tapered leaders just to be like everybody else. I've been doing well not being like everybody else and still catching fish.

Enjoy your time fishing your way.
    When ya' get to talkin' with Yesus, he's not gonna care what method you used, only that you were fishin'-all his friends were fishin'.........
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

I have found level leaders (fancy name for a piece of mono tied to the end of my fly line) work fine in many cases. I use it a lot when fishing streamers and poppers for bass, bluegill, crappie and the like in both lakes and streams.

Where I've found it less agreeable with my casting style is when using 6X, and 7X leaders to fish small (size 18 -22) midges, griffiths gnats, BWO's ect. on the tailwaters. I find the tapered leaders present those small flies and light tippets better than just tying a length of the finer material on the end of my fly line. In fact, I find a length of mono with the finer tippet on the end still does not work as well as a true tapered leader.

However, with bigger flies and heavier line, I have used the level leaders a lot and with no problem.

Jeff

Level leaders? Never thought of them by that name, but yes, I tie on a length of mono for nymph fishing and always for streamers, rather than the tapered leader style I employ for dry flies.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

I was probably 50 years old before I owned a factory made tapered leader. Started out with a level fly line and a piece of Stren. I might have tied a piece of 4# on the end of a piece of 12 - 17# mono. I think tapered leaders have a little more stiffness that make them "turnover" a little better, but I have never had a fish pull out calipers to check my line diameter.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I always have some form of taper to my leaders. But I do piece my own together. Saltwater for example, I will use 33 lbs Rio Hard Mono, 22 Lbs Rio HArd mono, to Orvis 20 LBS, Flouro http://www.thelowerforty.com/rx/rx011400.htm

This is from my local fly shop. This simple leader has really helped me lauch some big flies and turn them over easy. The Hard mono, is stiff, but it's stretch has helped absorb my mistakes when fighting fish.

For dry flies, I just by the tapered leader and continue to use the appropriate tippet to keep the leader well tapered for all nymphs and dries. I just find my presentations to be more delicate, and the drag on my nymphs to be less (I could be imagining that last part but it just feels better for me)

If I am doing some bass bugging and streamers, I will usually use some form of 10lbs Hard Mono and still tie of the matching diameter flourocarbon.
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    Never thirsty, ever drinking,
    All in mail never clinking.
    - Riddle

What they said.
    IMHO, trout fishing small flies is easier with tapered leader. www.sierratradinapost.com frequently puts DaiRiki on sale for under $1 each and I get a bunch so I can change whenever I feel it's needed.
    For level leaders mine aren't exactly that.I always have a heavy butt section (30-40# test mono...usually Amnesia) of 2-3 feet. IMHO this helps turn over the leader better. Then to that I attach 4-6 feet of whatever suits the bass/bluegill/saltwater needs.

Tim,

I only use 'tapered' leaders for topwater fishing for either trout or bass, and for what I like to think of as 'nymphing' with an indicator. The taper helps in turing over dries for that nice soft landing, and I use a really beefy hand tied tapered leader for flinging big topwater bugs for bass and pike (really beefy, starts with 180# mono). For nymphing, I want a heavier section to actually hook the indicator to, so if I break stuff off, I don't lose the indicator.

For all my other fishing, especially with fly lines that sink in any way, I use a level piece of whatever line I deem appropriate to the occasion.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread