+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southeast Tenn. Flyfishing for beginners

Default Southeast Tenn. Flyfishing for beginners

I got my first fly rod for Christmas (st. croix imperial) and I am hoping to give it a maiden run in a few weeks. I have a friend who is going to teach me what he knows and we are hoping to find some easy trout streams in the Chattanooga area. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Mtnram

Hey Padre,

Welcome to FAOL and welcome to the
    obsession that binds us together here. I
    hope you come to enjoy both. There is
    quite a lot of solid basics here on FAOL
    that should get you off on the right foot.
    Plenty of knowledgeable folks as well if
    you have questions. Kick back and make
    yourself at home.

Hopefully, someone can offer some
    local info for your upcoming trip. If it
    fits your budget, you might consider a
    guide. In addition to being knowledgeable
    of the waters you'll be fishing, he should
    also be very helpful in your casting and
    presentations. Hands on help from a
    knowledgeable guide could certainly shorten
    the learning curve. Again, welcome aboard.
    Warm regards, Jim

To really jump-start your fly fishing journey, click on Flyfishing Basics on the left-hand menu. Then find Fly Fishing 101.
    Lots of answers.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

mtnram:
    Welcome aboard!! Best site in town!
    Might I suggest getting "Tennessee Trout Waters 'Blue-Ribbon Fly-Fishing Guide'" by Ian Rutter. Published by Frank Amato Publicationss. [url=http://www.amatobooks.com:e63b2]www.amatobooks.com[/url:e63b2]

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus

You guys are great!
    I certainly will pick up the book, but right now I guess I am just looking for the easy answers. Probably trying to go sometime soon.
    I plan on meeting a friend who is a guide in the spring, but this trip will be with another friend who is a bit more than a beginner(rookie maybe)
    Thanks for all the encouragement and help.
    Mtnram

If you want close to where you are, check out the Elk and the Duck rivers. They are both about halfway between you and Nashville. Both are easy to fish and TWRA stocks them on a regular basis. JUST CHECK THE GENERATION SCHEDULES and MAKE SURE YOU KEEP AN EYE ON THE WATER LEVELS and PLAN A WAY OUT OF THE RIVER!!!!

If you want to go a little further, try the Caney Fork near Nashville, the Clinch near Knoxville and darn near any wet spot in the Smokies.

Drop me an email if you want any further info.

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

As a starter trip you might want to try the Elk River close to Winchester, TN or the Duck River, close to Tullahoma. These are both easy to wade and the fish are generally fairly cooperative. Check with the fly fishing outfitter in Lynchburg, TN "Tim's Flies and Lies". They should be able to give you all the poop you need.

Ralph Shuey
    Tennessee Valley Fly Fishers FFF
    Huntsville, AL

I recommend the Hiwassee near Reliance, TN. It's a little over an hour from Chattanooga. Go to [url=http://www.hiwassee.net:0b199]www.hiwassee.net[/url:0b199] for info. This web site will tell you everything you need to know about the river.
    This is a tailwater, so you will need to be wary of the TVA release schedule.
    Right now woolly buggers in olive or white are doing well up there. You might also try drifting a nymph (I like pheasant tails) under a strike indicator. The Hiwassee can provide some fantastic dry fly fishing, but you'll likely do better right now with streamers and nymphs.

You might also consider the Tellico River near Tellico Plains. The Delayed Harvest is on right now up there and the Tellico is fishing well. Try big nymphs under strike indicators here. Go to [url=http://www.telliquahoutfitters.com:0b199]www.telliquahoutfitters.com[/url:0b199] for info. The Tellico is a little over an hour and a half from Chattanooga. There are also several tributaries of the Tellico that have excellent populations of wild browns and rainbows.

If you're looking for a quick flyfishing fix and don't have time to drive anywhere, try the tailwater below Chickamauga dam in Chattanooga. You can wade below the railroad bridge down there and have a ball. Right now clousers and white woolly buggers should be working for stripers, hybrids, skipjack, and the occasional smallmouth.
    By the way, if the siren sounds when you're down there, get out of the water until you see what kind of pulse will be coming through.

I think TWRA also stocks N. Chickamauga creek from time to time, but you would need to check with them for the stocking schedule.

Hope this helps. Congrats on that new fly rod and good luck.

------------------
    It was like that when I got here.

Actually, I live in Birmingham, AL.. I assumed that Chattanooga was going to be the closest place I could find some good trout fishing combined with hiking/camping.
    THnaks for the help.
    Mtnram

My bad, mtnram. I just assumed you were from the Chattanooga area and didn't check your bio information. The only trout water near you that I know of is the Sipsey Fork tailwater. Never have fished it but I understand that it's a year round trout fishery.

------------------
    It was like that when I got here.

+ Reply to Thread