+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever Scrounge One???

Default Ever Scrounge One???

I am presently using bits and pieces from a broken 3 wt. to put together a 5 pc. 4 wt that I got on clearance from Cabelas for 19.00...I am building a Stowawy for 25 bucks.

Just mounted the one piece cork and band seat/handle salvaged from the broken rod and will wrap with the same single foot guides from that same rod.

Using left over, 2 part epoxy, Chestnut wrapping thread, flexbond and color preservative that are laying around.

Might have to spring for a winding check at Home Depot though.

Considering rattan wrapping the grip of the rod once it is done but not so sure as this build is getting fun...using what I have.

Anyone else ever scrounge one up???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brhoff View Post
    Might have to spring for a winding check at Home Depot though.
    What are you thinking of for the winding check? You got me thinking. I have components for 4 great little rods scrounged from Ebay but winding checks for 2. I don't want to order $2 worth of winding checks and pay $6 in shipping.

I'm guessing black nylon washers or o-rings. I have o-rings. Maybe neoprene washers? Faucet washers? Beveled faucet washers would work, too.

Maybe a stainless steel washer reamed out to the appropriate size and polished? If you made the washer just a tad larger than the end of the grip, the rattan would finish at the washer and the cork would not show. It could even be domed slightly so it didn't look quite so much like a washer.

Folks at the hardware stores have learned to leave me alone when I am in "What can I use to do this?" mode.
    Last edited by kbproctor; 11-08-2009 at 10:30 PM.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I've put together some amazing rods from what's 'laying around the shop'...

I don't use winding checks, ever.

I just wrap the hook keeper wrap right up to the cork, and finish with epoxy...the epoxy will ramp natually onto the cork..looks nice that way to me. You do need to keep the hole in the cork close to the blank diameter, the thread won't hide overreaming like a check will (which is probably the real reason for using one).

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Winding checks are also VERY handy for keeping epoxy from seeping/creeping onto the cork grip.

Since it is almost Christmas time, I will start doing my good deeds ... I really want Santa to stop this year with a new reel. Send me a PM with the size needed for a winding check and I will drop one into the mail. Measure the diameter with calipers - use millimeters.

Jim -

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    I don't want to order $2 worth of winding checks and pay $6 in shipping.......Folks at the hardware stores have learned to leave me alone when I am in "What can I use to do this?" mode.
    I'll be stopping at Janns & Cabela's (Dundee store) in 2 weeks. Want me to pick you anything?

The guys at my local Ace are pretty much the same way. I bet I was in there a total of 2 hours overal several visits trying to get an idea of the parts I needed for my Profile Plate project. Then there was the whole Tolulene and Naptha thing, but thats another story.

Necessity is the mother of invention!!!
    I dearly love the hardware store!! The guys in my local one get a kick out of whatever I'm trying to do at that particular time!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Thinking about a simple O ring or beveled rubber washer if they have one...since I have already wrapped one rod with the thread, I'll skip wrapping for a winding check...need to be sure I have enough thread to get the guides and hook keeper on.

I agree, ordering just a winding check or two on line is silly.

Blog Entries

Bass Bug,

I will let you know. The neoprene washer intrigues me. If I get one with a small hole and pull it down towards the grip, I'm thinking it will create a filet and kind of roll up and snug with the grip. Gotta try it. Getting wrap finish to stick to it is another story, but still gotta try it.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Default thread checks

Thread/epoxy winding checks can look great. Looks better up close. As you can see on my 8wt, epoxy errors can stand out.

I had the opportunity once to purchase some "scrap graphite" from a shop once for $10. It turned out he had ended up with a mix match of bottoms and tops of some 2 piece fly blanks. I took those blanks and built three rods out of them.

I got two 8 1/2' 7 wt rods and one 8' 4wt. I built them using left over components from my inventory. I sold the 7 wt rods while a guy in the club cast the entire line with one. I still have the 8' 4 wt and I'm keeping it!!
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

+ Reply to Thread