+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternate thread test....

Default Alternate thread test....

Trying something...

After seeing the responses to the deneir thread rating thread, I decided to try an experiment...

I like UNI threads in 8/0 and 6/0 for a large portion of my fly tying...It's getting hard to find around me, seems the fly shop is always out of it, and the warehouse store doesn't know how to sort stuff and I can NEVER find it where it's labeled it's supposed to be...UNI thread is polyester..

(before I get a bunch of links to where I can find it online, I know that I can order it, but I wanted to try something 'new' and maybe learn something in the attempt).

I went to the local JoAnn's fabric and craft store, and looked at what they had in 'threads'...they had LOTS....

I wanted polyester thread...I wanted to start with black...and I wanted about 8/0 (I'd take 6/0 if I had to..).

I found some Coats and Clark bobbin thread....1800 yards of it in 70 denier that looked a lot like the 8/0 sample of UNI I brought along....about $8. It's smooth finished and seems MUCH stronger than the UNI thread.

So, I'm going to chuck some empty spools in the drill and load them up with this stuff and give it a try...If I like it, it comes in LOTS of colors.

If I don't, I'll have learned why 'fly tying thread' is better for fly tying than regular 'thread'. Wish me luck.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Hi Buddy,

I wonder if you are on to something. Keep us advised.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

i have done the same thing!
    I have Coat & Clark's METALLIC thread in pearl and one of Coat & Clark's TRANSPARENT edition in black and white (which i use for surf flies. these are really stiff.)

joan craft usually has like 40-50% off coupons and these things cost less than $2 (i think 200 yrd per spool)

Blog Entries

Default Thread

My only hesitation would be that the thread isn't waxed, but then when I started tying no thread was waxed and we kept our beeswax handy. I still use it every now and then when I want more wax on my thread.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Cool Everything you wanted to know about thread!

This one is worth checking out, some time ago Parnelli did a great article about threads explaining each and a comparison chart. Here:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...ps/part211.php

Larry,

I was concerned about that as well.

But I seldom if ever dub anything anymore...and I can't think of a reason for the wax otherwise. I do have some beeswax, though, if I need it.

This stuff is listed as 'bonded'..but I can't find out how that was done..sometimes they use a wax, sometimes a starch (but not usually on thread intended for machine use due to build up of the starch).

In any event, tied a couple of dozen leech patterns with the thread, and so far it works very well.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Buddy, thinking much as you did....some time ago I picked up some thread at Jo Ann's when it was all on sale @ 40% off.

I picked up a few colors to use for furled leaders....seems to work quite well as far as the process goes but I have not fished it yet.

I chose Coats & Clark Machine Embroidery trilobal polyester...it says Wt. 40 it's looks to be of greater diameter than Uni 8/0 or 6/0 so I doubt the 40 refers to denier...

Do you know what the 40 means?

Default Buddy

I save all my Waspi Spools, when they are empty, and reload them with, sewing thread, just as you are doing.

Many sewing threads are Mercerized Cotton, which are fine for fly tying. Some say that the colors of mercerized cotton threads are prone to fading when exposed to sunlight. My flies are either in the fly box or under the water surface, and the colors are just fine for the length of time the fly remains usable.

There are also the nylon and polester threads, just the same as in the fly shops. But the prices are more reasonable.

As for the Wax or UnWax thing with fly tying thread, all threads have some form of sealing to protect the thread surface from friction.

Mercerized: Used with cotton fiber thread. The cotton thread is treated with a caustic solution, which causes the fibers to swell to allow dyes to better saturate the cotton fibers. Mercerizing increases the cotton threads luster, as well as increasing the thread strength.

I quit using rayon floss years ago for the same reason, and started using rayon sewing thread instead.

Want to know more about thread? I wrote an article on the topic for "Tying Tips" on the subject! The article explains every aspect of thread disign and the complete process of "Construction-Fiber-Finish" that results is the finished thread that you purchase.

"THREAD!"
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 11-07-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Blog Entries

qui;ting thread comes in 2/0 4/0 6/0 8/0 and is abou 2.50 a spool of 250 yards and comes in a large number of colours.

If the unwaxed aspect bothers you, you can always just make a quick rig to run the thread over the wax as you put it onto the empty standard flytying thread spools. If your using a drill to load the spools and have a stationary object to hold the supplying spool you could even just hold the wax in your hand on the thread as it goes on.

+ Reply to Thread