+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any new Christmas flies to try?

Default Any new Christmas flies to try?

I know I might be a little early but I'm looking for new xmas fly recipes. Tied lots of Betty's hummingbirds and a few Christmas snowman for friends and relatives but I am looking for something new to try. Friends and relatives go nuts over the hummingbird and that is the only time they are interested or impressed with my tying. The thread is started a bit early because I may have to find some material. I did see the Grande Ronde Rudy and the Yule Mouse in the archives but I tie lots of mice for my friend's cats already and Rudy just doesn't appeal to me. Thanks much.

Blog Entries

I would like to see some patterns for these. I did a quick Google and found a Christmas Tree Fly.

Christmas Tree Fly
    by Gary Schultz

"Use a #6 salmon hook.

First tie in at the butt of the hook silver maylar tinsel, as well as apeice of " v rib"for ribbing. Wrap both to the front of the hook .

Then for the wing is three layers. The under wing i use 6-8 strands of silver tinsel.Then on top of that i tie in 8-10 strands of green flash aboo.( or green tinsel ) I prefer the flash my self.

Then on top of the green tie in 6-8 strands of silver tinsel & whip finsh .I also tie med. dumbbell eyes . black for some the ponds are deep and the fish love to hug the bottom."

Here is a link to another:

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/christmas_fly/
    Last edited by kbproctor; 10-22-2009 at 07:19 PM.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Quote Originally Posted by turvy View Post
    I know I might be a little early but I'm looking for new xmas fly recipes. Tied lots of Betty's hummingbirds and a few Christmas snowman for friends and relatives but I am looking for something new to try. Friends and relatives go nuts over the hummingbird and that is the only time they are interested or impressed with my tying. The thread is started a bit early because I may have to find some material. I did see the Grande Ronde Rudy and the Yule Mouse in the archives but I tie lots of mice for my friend's cats already and Rudy just doesn't appeal to me. Thanks much.
    Would you post pics of the Snowman and Hummingbird? I think I would like to try something like that.

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by waynep View Post
    Would you post pics of the Snowman and Hummingbird? I think I would like to try something like that.

wayne
    They are in the archives here for the Fly of the Week.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Bump, bump, bump

I think it was 4th quarter 2006 (?) in the fly tying archives.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Turvy,

Tied up some Christmas tree ornaments last two years for family and friends. Some were standard type flies with variations and others I just made up as I went along. Got 3-4 different sized bulbs from Michael's Craft store to use. Tied some really bright "critters" based on salt water type flies. Just grabbed "stuff" from my supplies and let 'er rip. Sorry don't have photos. Have used one rule when doing them - Never repeat a pattern so that they're all one of a kind. They seem to go over pretty well.

This guy ought to get your imagination tuned up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwervdOqXsE

and his site:http://www.leonguthrie.co.uk/
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

What about an over-sized Royal Wulff?

Thanks for the link to the guy from UK. I had looked at his work before but this time I think I might try a variation of his butterfly. Swiss Straw, feathers, mono line to make the feelers...it may take a few tries but it might just work.
    Any more ideas?

+ Reply to Thread