+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deceiver

Quote Originally Posted by Martin McFly View Post
    I'm not sure where I saw a bucktail deceiver recipe or something like that but I didn't print it, when I got home and tried to look for it I wasn't able to find it. Ok, so if it's not a deceiver what would you fine gentlemen call it?
    Bob Popovics originated the 'bucktail deciever'
    Here's an article (by Lefty) about it.
    http://www.flyfishinsalt.com/techniq...ver-37593.html

Martin, your fly reminds me most of the saltwater classic the Brooks Blonde

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Essentially the deceiver uses the wing tied in at the bend of the hook to reduce the occurance of the wing wrapping around the hook. This is especfially prevalent with feather wings. Tied in a smaller sizes it can be used in freshwater as well as saltwater where it is more common.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Nice flies Dudley. Well, we'll see if it catches me a striped bass. I'll update as soon as I get a chance to hit the lake.
    Thanks gents.
    I believe I can fly fish

Martin,

That is a nice fly. Under the right circumstances it will catch stripers, largemouth bass, trout, plus a host of other fresh and saltwater species.

Here's how this guy ties a Deceiver:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdarl70ak4E
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Whoa, that is one heck of a video, thanks hairwing, now the only thing I would not do si to lick the fly like that lol.
    Thanks again.
    I believe I can fly fish

Quote Originally Posted by B540Glenn View Post
    What attributes does a fly need to be a deceiver?

Still learning,
    saddle hackles for the tail. basically this fly iss just a bucktail streamer like clouser minnow with no dumbell eyes. looks good tho and will ctahc soem fish still. if you got saddle hackles for the tail and bucktail for the body then its a deciever. watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdarl70ak4E
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_suyg...eature=related
    Last edited by fishaholic69; 10-21-2009 at 02:48 AM.
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

Quote Originally Posted by Martin McFly View Post
    Whoa, that is one heck of a video, thanks hairwing, now the only thing I would not do si to lick the fly like that lol.
    Thanks again.
    A lot of materials are easier to handle when wet, especially flash materials and marabou.

I keep a wet sponge set on my tying desk to the right of the vise (I am right handed). The sponge sets on a lid from a cottage cheese container to keep any excess water from running away. I take material in my left hand and draw it between the sponge and a finger or two on the right hand to dampen it before tying in. Helps keep things under control.

I decided this was much better than using my mouth. I learned this watching a celebrity tyer doing demos at a sport show.

+ Reply to Thread