+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No New Fly Patterns

Default No New Fly Patterns

As a reformed fly fisherman and fly tyer, I appreciated the fly patterns that appeared on the weekly "Fly of the Week" series. That said, I now see that only two new patterns appeared during the Third Quarter. What happened?!?

Default Fotw

There have been a number of FOTWs featured during the third quarter '09. You can find them by going to the Reader's Voice Forum and rummaging around there.

Looks like the recent flies haven't been transferred to the FOTW archives, for whatever reason. Which means they can only be accessed via the Bulletin Board ??

Hopefully, Ron will take note of this and get on it.

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Default Blame me

I'm trying to redo the indexes across the board.
    They are suffering at the moment as I develop a method that will work.

I'm trying to automate a lot of stuff to make sure it stays in synch with minimal operator errors.

until then. try this..

Recent fly of the weeks..

IF You look I tag every readers choice (PLEASE NO ONE USE THESE TAGS in your stuff or I'll have to lock tags to admin use only...) You can SEARCH for tags from the search menu. So if you want fly of the weeks.. fotw...
    Look under the bottom "Post Reply" button to see if that thread has a tag..
    Last edited by rtidd; 09-21-2009 at 10:26 PM.

Cold Guest

It may be something you've already considered, or maybe you're addressing a totally different indexing issue, but have you considered simply making a wordpress-style permalink for each FotW?

Basically, a fly called...a 'horse butt caddis emerger' would get the permalink:

... /horse_butt_caddis_emerger.html

Obviously, no two entrants would be identical, and it would make "blind-addressing" more feasible.

For example, if you remembered tying an old FotW called a blue-bearded mongoose, but couldnt remember when it was featured, you could "guess" at its webpage and have a reasonable shot at getting it right.

Blog Entries

Default hmm

perhaps.
    But a lot of our members are not geeks, and interfaces need to be simple and precise. This may be a concept that does not play well for many.

Putting stuff in a db for indexing allows consistent re-use in many different display formats.

This is intriguing however. I'll have to look at it further as a possible stage 2 addition.

Thanks.

Cold Guest

Oh you can still organize them however you like, its just that instead of giving each fly's web page a number, you give it a name.

By all means, do whatever works best in your system, that was just a suggestion, to offer yet another option.

+ Reply to Thread