+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Orvis does it again

I have no problem being labeled a snob, especially since everybody on this board is one as evidenced by the attitudes displayed. Unfortunately like your incorrect analysis of my statement, many also incorrectly assume snobbery can only be displayed by those that spend more.

Second, while I could care less about your opinion of me nor about being offended, my comment has nothing to do with snobbery, but rather an attempt to dispel yet ANOTHER prevailing attitude that all graphite is fast, more snobbery espoused by glass and bamboo fans.

But when YOU read my comments, all you see is the Winston name and the high price associated with it, and equate that with snobbery so you too are a snob, a low priced tackle snob who probably never cast the rods I mentioned so has no idea where I was going with my statement.

Of course, if I said the same thing about a $50 graphite rod, the comments would be welcomed and applauded since bragging about how LITTLE you spend seems to be a badge of honor for many, as if being bellicose about that is any better or any less snobbish.

I am really tired of this constant bashing of high priced stuff and the folks that buy it. I make no apologies for what I buy and use including, heaven forbid conventional fishing tackle and 30 year old equipment that cost me $40.

The biggest horse's a$$es I have ever met are fly fisherman. If you don't do what they do, you are somehow misguided, mistaken or just plain wrong. There are cheap tackle snobs, and expensive tackle snobs, dry fly snobs and wet fly snobs, bamboo snobs and fiberglass snobs; guys that blame bait fishermen for all the ills of the world and look down their nose at BASS pros, just because they don't wield the long rod.

It's funny, I hear NONE of that from my non-flyfishing friends who I'm proud to share a stream with any day of the week; no attitudes, no tackle bashing, no class warfare, no pomp and circumstance, just fishermen who like to fish and have a good time and could care less what works for you.

It's why this snob does ALL of his non-trout fishing with spinning and baitcasting tackle and still proudly drowns worms. Sometimes the worm dirt smells a whole lot better than the stench that emanates from the fly fishing community.

I knew that as soon as Fly Goddess put up this well intentioned post, it would end up where it did. If you want to see snobbery rear its ugly head, start a thread with the word Orvis in it or mention any rod that cost more than $200. I tried to stay out of it but unfortunately didn't, but at least I reaffirmed my distaste for the attitude overload that is fly fishing.

I'll shut my mouth now, let the rookies rule the roost and go fishin'.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    I have no problem being labeled a snob, especially since everybody on this board is one as evidenced by the attitudes displayed. Unfortunately like your incorrect analysis of my statement, many also incorrectly assume snobbery can only be displayed by those that spend more.

Second, while I could care less about your opinion of me nor about being offended, my comment has nothing to do with snobbery, but rather an attempt to dispel yet ANOTHER prevailing attitude that all graphite is fast, more snobbery espoused by glass and bamboo fans.

But when YOU read my comments, all you see is the Winston name and the high price associated with it, and equate that with snobbery so you too are a snob, a low priced tackle snob who probably never cast the rods I mentioned so has no idea where I was going with my statement.

Of course, if I said the same thing about a $50 graphite rod, the comments would be welcomed and applauded since bragging about how LITTLE you spend seems to be a badge of honor for many, as if being bellicose about that is any better or any less snobbish.

I am really tired of this constant bashing of high priced stuff and the folks that buy it. I make no apologies for what I buy and use including, heaven forbid conventional fishing tackle and 30 year old equipment that cost me $40.

The biggest horse's a$$es I have ever met are fly fisherman. If you don't do what they do, you are somehow misguided, mistaken or just plain wrong. There are cheap tackle snobs, and expensive tackle snobs, dry fly snobs and wet fly snobs, bamboo snobs and fiberglass snobs; guys that blame bait fishermen for all the ills of the world and look down their nose at BASS pros, just because they don't wield the long rod.

It's funny, I hear NONE of that from my non-flyfishing friends who I'm proud to share a stream with any day of the week; no attitudes, no tackle bashing, no class warfare, no pomp and circumstance, just fishermen who like to fish and have a good time and could care less what works for you.

It's why this snob does ALL of his non-trout fishing with spinning and baitcasting tackle and still proudly drowns worms. Sometimes the worm dirt smells a whole lot better than the stench that emanates from the fly fishing community.

I knew that as soon as Fly Goddess put up this well intentioned post, it would end up where it did. If you want to see snobbery rear its ugly head, start a thread with the word Orvis in it or mention any rod that cost more than $200. I tried to stay out of it but unfortunately didn't, but at least I reaffirmed my distaste for the attitude overload that is fly fishing.

I'll shut my mouth now, let the rookies rule the roost and go fishin'.

Post of the Year.

Cold Guest

If you'd bothered to read instead of making assumptions, you'd see that I made no mention of brand names or high prices. I wouldnt have cared if you'd said, "If you haven't fished with a shakespeare ugly stik you dont know slow rods" its just as narrow-minded, and I'd have made the same post.

Also, if you'd bothered to read, you'd have seen that not once did I call YOU personally a snob, just that the comment is the type of thing that creates such a poor image of many fly anglers. To the contrary, most of the posts I've read from you here are quite good. Normally, I hold off making any decisions about a person's attitude until I meet them in person, or deal with them individually in some other manner. Usually, it's too hard to determine someone's nature through what they type.

Still, I guess you handled that yourself, throwing a fit and calling everyone names.

When it all boils down, kit is kit. You can have as much or as little as you like and spend as much or as little as you like. Beyond that, there are very few hard fact, just opinions...from mfr's, customers, haters, and reviewers. What you choose to believe and what holds true for you can and will vary dramatically from the next guy (or gal). If it didnt, we'd only have one fly rod company making one model. There's no sense in alienating people that might otherwise be good friends because you like one type of glorified stick and they like another.

Have fun fishing.

PS. Before you make anymore incorrect assumptions about me, I fish graphite and glass fly rods, ultralight spinning, medium spinning, noodle rods, and casting rods. Everything from #22 flies to 7" crankbaits, nightcrawlers, gobs of powerbait, and skein. I have just as much fun alone on a mountain stream at dawn as I do having beer & hot dogs with friends on a riverbank, with two rods out on bottom rigs for catfish.

Wink I'm gonna do this again!

Hi,

"Good news it sounds like, this line of Hydro's rods" - Yoda said it not me.
    Last edited by Silverexpress; 09-09-2009 at 03:34 PM.
    Regards,

Jose

><((((0>

Blog Entries

Thumbs down

[QUOTE=Bamboozle;317287]......

I knew that as soon as Fly Goddess put up this well intentioned post, it would end up where it did. If you want to see snobbery rear its ugly head, start a thread with the word Orvis in it or mention any rod that cost more than $200. I tried to stay out of it but unfortunately didn't, but at least I reaffirmed my distaste for the attitude overload that is fly fishing......

QUOTE]

unfortunately this is too true, over and over again on this board if you mention expensive gear people come in and bash it and start yelling about how there gear that cost half as much is just as good. Please give everyone a break, figure out that if someone buys high cost gear it doesn't make them a snob anymore than someone who buys a Lincoln instead of a ford is a snob. This sport is big enough for everyone and part of the fun is the different gear, I hope some day to buy a "snob rod", but it will be high end Boo, just love the look and feel of nice boo

this post is directed to everyone on this board not to an individual, don't take offence just take an inventory and see if it fits.

Just my thoughts

now everyone shake hands and go fishing

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I, for one, resent being called a snob. I'm a curmudgeon. (did i spell that right?)

Default Write a letter

to Family Guy or South Park writers to spoof this "snobbery". That'd be funny. I doubt they could really capture the big picture though (or have the audience). I'm a St Croix/Fenwick/Lamiglas Snob (although oddly I like Lam's graphites). I'd brag about getting a Legend Elite for $50 hehe

Red face What happened

"We have met the enemy... and he is us"

It's freaking fishing folks. If it means more or less to you good for "YOU". Why try to convince anyone else what it should be or mean?

Quote Originally Posted by crook33 View Post
    "We have met the enemy... and he is us"

It's freaking fishing folks. If it means more or less to you good for "YOU". Why try to convince anyone else what it should be or mean?
    Post of the year!

i still say that if you don't fish a bamboo rod that you made yourself, with bamboo that you harvested yourself in sivro egas (after fighting off the savage tribe of resident head hunters, or course!), you don't know anything about the sport. so there.
    Last edited by D. Micus; 09-10-2009 at 12:07 AM.

+ Reply to Thread