+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Custom Graphite Rod Builder

Default Best Custom Graphite Rod Builder

A friend of mine is considering having a rod built for himself on a Sage blank. He's been fly fishing for the past several years with me in Montana, but he is still using entry level equipment, and feels it is time to upgrade.

Over the years, I've had several rods built for myself but I've never been totally satisfied with them for one reason or another. So, I'd like to suggest someone to my friend that will work with him and build a rod exactly as he want it.

Can you guys suggest a few rodbuilders that I could tell him about? Thanks.

John

John -

There are three Bulletin Board members that I would turn to with complete confidence in their workmanship and the reasonableness of their pricing. In no particular order or preference -

ET Custom Fly Rods

Midwest Custom Fly Rods

boarmountain

There are other great builders showing their wares on the Rod Building Forum from time to time but I haven't seen enough of their work to have an opinion.

If you go back through the threads on the Rod Building Forum started by any of these fine rod builders and look at what they have built and / or review their websites and talk to them, I think you will come away quite impressed.

John
    The fish are always right.

I concur with John on this one. Any of the three will do a great job for your friend. Would also like to throw another name out there as well and that is big daddy rods. Pics of his work is here as well adn they look great to me.

I can refer you to one of my friends and colleagues. He does great work with lighter fly rods and has some availability for commissioned work. He does offer Sage, Winston, T&T and a few others.

Here's a little slideshow I put together of a few unique pieces of his craftsmanship.

CLICK ON THE PHOTO ...

If you would care to get in touch with him, please let me know via PM and I will forward your contact information.

TJ -

With the exception of Boar mountain (who builds a nice stick) I'm not familiar with the the other builders mentioned so this is in no way a comment on their work..Although it's obvious it's worth mentioning that the word "best" is very subjective. One man's/woman's best can be another man's/woman's mediocre. To the person looking for an affordable fly rod the rod builder who sells fly rods built on Chinese made blanks with cork/rubber grips for $150 might be the "best" rod builder. And the guy who waited 4 years for a Bob Summers bamboo fly rod will probably have a different idea of who the best rod maker is.

There are also different rod building philosophies that rod builders adhere to and they can make a difference in how the rod is built and cast. A balanced rod is one of them. Some builders and fly fishers couldn't care less if a rod is tip or butt heavy and that works for them. Other builders and fly fishers are fanatical about building/fishing a balanced rod and do everything in their power to build a balanced rod. Does it matter to you? If it does then find a builder who knows how to build a balanced rod. That is just one example of how a rod builder can custom build a rod that suits your way of casting/fishing. That's what custom rod building is all about.

Plenty of good rod builders out there, plenty of not so good builders also. Find one who builds a fly rod the way you like it and stick with him.

I'll add that I'm a custom rod builder however I don't build on Sage blanks and although I build a lot of graphite rods my primary interest is in fiberglass rods so I have no financial interest in this.

Thanks to all of you for your replies and suggestions. I'll give him these names and comments.

John

+ Reply to Thread