+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass blanks

Default Fiberglass blanks

I want to get a new rod for the mountains. I love slower actions. I would like a 2-3 weight short rod. It should be packable (backpacking), and strong. I fish mostly dry flies or subsurface flies. I have decided on fiberglass.

Now for the questions. I want a mcfarland, a lamiglass, or a steffan. They are relatively the same price. So, I would like to ask the members who uses what, and the opinions, downfalls, advantages,etc. of each rod. I will build the rod.

Thank you. i cant wait for the rod.

I've seen some posts on the fiberglass recently. please explain to me why you chose fiberglass over graphite?

I'm getting ready to make a 2wt rod in the spring, and I'm still undecided.

the one I'm probably leaning towards is the TFO finesse, but you piqued my curiosity.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=30201

Check this out for starters. There's just nothing like them!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

yea Betty I read that post, and thats exactly what got me considering...

I chose fiberglass over graphite simply because I like their action. i believe graphite rods are a bit too fast and light. I like slow rods because they can protect my tippet, they feel nice to cast, and the presentation is a bit softer. The line pick-up seems to be less "noisy" too.

solowookie
    My brook fishing rod is a 6'6" Wright& McGill Feather Light (c. 1963)
    Even though it calls for a 5wt line, it's really a 3/4
    And even underlined like that with a 4wt line, the rod loads with only one foot of line out of the tiptop
    I can hold the rod with the butt/reelseat behind my back to cast sidearm and still hit my target
    Not things you can do with any plastic rod that I've ever cast
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

so do any of you fish like a 2-3WT rod? the next rod I'm looking to make I believe will be that range. also I like as long of a rod as possible for the small streams (odd I know, but I was taught to fish the small streams unconventional - the system works I don't fight it lol)

the current rod I fish is a Winston Ibis (fast action) 9' 4WT. I like the rod, but honestly I'm not a great caster, and it is proving difficult to use on the small streams. I have a 6Wt twin to this rod that I used on rivers, and I love it. however I think as my casting skills are improving a bit I'm finding these fast action rods much more difficult to control.

Quote Originally Posted by solowookie View Post
    I've seen some posts on the fiberglass recently. please explain to me why you chose fiberglass over graphite?

I'm getting ready to make a 2wt rod in the spring, and I'm still undecided.

the one I'm probably leaning towards is the TFO finesse, but you piqued my curiosity.
    Shorter glass rods load better than shorter graphite rods do.

As the owner of a few McFarland rods I'd have to say that's the way I'd go for a few reasons.

A call to Mike will get you just about any kind of action you want and the number of pieces you want as well.

Glass is an awesome fishing rod material especially in shorter lengths!

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    As the owner of a few McFarland rods I'd have to say that's the way I'd go for a few reasons.

A call to Mike will get you just about any kind of action you want and the number of pieces you want as well.

Glass is an awesome fishing rod material especially in shorter lengths!
    Thanks for the imput. I decided to just get a lamiglas blank,though.

+ Reply to Thread