+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saltwer fly line

Default Saltwer fly line

Hey guys,
    I was wondering if I really need a "saltwater fly line" if I use my 10wt in the ocean. I bought it with a Cabela's prestige line. As far as I know it is for freshwater.
    Is there a saltwater fly line you guys have used?

Thanks

Unless you are planning to use the flyline alot in the ocean the Prestige should be fine. The only real difference between the salt and fresh water lines is the diameter and possibly head length. But as I said you should be fine. rel

Thanks a lot Rel, I don't really plan to use it a lot in the water so I'll keep the one I have. Now, what about the one you prefer, is there one that would perform better than others? I saw the Cabela's saltwater line and it was good enough. I take in saltwater the presentation is not as critical as in freshwater...I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin McFly View Post
    I take in saltwater the presentation is not as critical as in freshwater...I think.
    Try tellin' that to bonefish! Or, some spooky redfish...
    I use and prefer Rio Bonefish line.
    "When we stop chasing thunderbirds, what else is there?"
    Roger Emile Stouff

Quote Originally Posted by Martin McFly View Post
    I take in saltwater the presentation is not as critical as in freshwater...I think.
    First, we are talking a 10wt line. Anything you throw a 10 wt to in freshwater is not likely to be any more spooky than in saltwater.

In the mid range weights, 6wt to 8wt, you may be throwing to bones and reds, and as Flats said, they can be as spooky as anything in freshwater. (by the way, welcome back dude)

Its only when you get to the lower 1wt to 4wts that you may get into situations where the freshwater fish are more spooky than saltwater, but you would never fish those weights in salt (unless you are trying to catch bait).

Bottom line is, if you are not going to be fishing a lot in salt, use what you got. The only caveat I have is the Prestige line might wimp out on you in tropical heat.
    Last edited by dunfly; 08-18-2009 at 01:26 AM.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

I wish I could go fishing for bonefish!!! I'm planning one of these days to rent a boat or pay a guide and go put the 10wt to the test, I hate to see it there without use. Or, I'll get tired of planning and will try to sell it here later on. We'll see what happens. I plan to fish SoCal waters for now.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread