+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Grass Carp...FINALLY!

good one Dave!!! another fish falls victim to "the list"...pictures are great, you even look younger

Very nice fish. I would love to land one that big.

That's not bad, Dave, not bad at all. Great looking fish, great pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us!
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Great report and congrats. The trouble now is that you are addicted to fishing for carp. there are few fish that can match the power of a carp. there are few fish that make your heart race, like a carp makes your heart race.

Bill

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by bonefishwhisperer View Post
    good one Dave!!! another fish falls victim to "the list"...pictures are great, you even look younger
    Cordell...Younger? You do realize I'm the taller one in the pictures, right? HA!

I contacted our local DNR Fisheries Biologist. Asked him if he knew of any formulas to convert grass carp lengths to estimate weights. He gave sent me a study he'd located, and we ran the numbers. Estimated weight will go @ 25lbs. I know they get a lot bigger, but I'm VERY happy with this fish!!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Well done Dave, well done!

Ive never caught a carp on a fly rod. But I have caught carp. What a fight. they do not like being hooked one bit. I cant imagine how much fun or a work out it is to get one landed on a fly rod. Good work
    David

Gotta love the digital age. You will be able t relive those moments for years to come. Nice that your student was there to share the moment, it will be a time that is a bonding experience that you can look back to and smile together. Grand time indeed. Congrats on a wonderful catch, sorry that I missed this post when it first occurred, must have been sleeping at the wheel.

Thumbs up

Dave -

Not sure how I missed this one when you first posted it ?? Must have been on the road up in Montana ??

Anyway, surely glad that Rick bumped it today and that it caught my attention. The pics and videos are great, as is your running narrative on hooking and landing that fishy, with the help of your fishing partner.

Looking forward to more posts on your exploits, targeting carp or otherwise.

John
    The fish are always right.

For future reference if you get a girth measurement, you can apply length and girth measurement, put it in the formula and get a very close weight. I always forget to do it after a big fish. I worry more about getting them back it the water.

+ Reply to Thread