+ Reply to Thread

Thread: White Flies

Blog Entries

Question White Flies

Read an article a year or so ago, bout tying a small box of all white flies and carrying markers to match the hatch. The point of the article was you could arrive anywhere and come close to matching the hatch with out carrying many flies.
    At the time I thought his was a great Idea and had Denny at Conranch send me a White Cape, which I have never done anything with. Today I saw a post by Normand (I think) re using markers to make white thread any color you want. And it got me thinking about this article.

Anyone use markers to color flies???

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Blog Entries

Cool In a pinch

Not only do I use markers, but I always carry a pair of tying sissors with me to trim flies down in size if needed. I have had it happen many times when finicky fish key into a size or two smaller than I am carrying. The hook size doesnt seem to matter , the silhoutte does.

Which brings me to the next point: Using markers and trimming flys can be great in a pinch, but really isnt or shouldnt be a substitute for tying to match a hatch.I equate it to using an adams or a bivisable.......
    Most times they work ......in a pinch......Ed
    Last edited by ET custom flyrods; 08-10-2009 at 04:51 PM.

So that?s what that big white monstrosity of a hackle is for. I thought it was to tie ghost flies so you could catch the fish ghosts while casting on the lawn. If only we had other white materials your plan would have had a chance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James-FS View Post
    So that?s what that big white monstrosity of a hackle is for. I thought it was to tie ghost flies so you could catch the fish ghosts while casting on the lawn. If only we had other white materials your plan would have had a chance.
    spend the first 18 years of his life getting him to be literate and this is the thanks I get. llleeeeseee here, white rabbit fur for dubbing, (including some shaved off and spun) calf skin, calf tail, white thread.
    go dig through the tying room.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Bass_Bug Guest

I wonder if Dr Tom "Whiting" had anything to do with topic? Sounds a bit fishy if you ask me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bass_Bug; 08-11-2009 at 01:47 AM.

I used to do that but discovered that solvent based fly floatant dissolved the color as did the oils and acids on my skin.

Permanent markers always have a solvent that you never expect to encounter.

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    I used to do that but discovered that solvent based fly floatant dissolved the color as did the oils and acids on my skin.

Permanent markers always have a solvent that you never expect to encounter.
    Whiskey will get you through times of no fish, better than fish will get you through times of no whiskey.
    Coloring stream side is definitely not ideal for everything, but more importantly; the tag line in your signature! In the words of Mr Burns! "Excellent Smithers!"

I think it was Bergman that said to always keep a white fly, that the browns couldn't refuse it, etc.

I also think that this brings up that age-old curiosity of what the trout will see - will a white caddis be refused while a natural caddis is taken? How will the color change the trout's perspective as it drifts to the edge of "the window".

Then, I think of how the longer I angle, the less I take to the stream. So, a bag full of markers just seems counter-productive (Bass_Bug has a good point about your tag line). Maybe, it's because I've never been disappointed when I've resorted to Al Troth's classic elk-hair caddis because I couldn't "match the hatch" exactly.

W/r.

+ Reply to Thread