+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That wascally carp

Default That wascally carp

I started seriously fly fishing for carp almost a year ago, funny thing, I caught two while I was fly fishing for bass and now that I'm focusing on it, nothing! I have read enough articles, believe me, I have done my homework but I'm still not catching carp. There is a river on the back of my local pond and this guy was catching them left and right with spinning gear and tortilla and he tells me I should bring my spinning rod and try it. I'm ashamed to say that I agreed with him, heck I even bought a couple of sinkers and some hooks but then I couldn't force myself to leave my fly rod.
    I have two fly boxes full of carp flies and yet nothing...it's a little bit frustrating so I put away my 7wt for a while, picked up my 3wt and started chasing bluegill bass for a while.
    I guess I'm not the only one frustrated over this, I think there aren't enough carpers (at least not in AZ or here in SoCal) who can share the experience.
    Thanks

Default Tortilla fly

Can you make a Tortilla fly? Just kidding, I think. Heck they make a Bread fly. People do chum corn and then use Corn flies, so why not.

Are you sightfishing for them or blind casting? What flies have you been using?
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Talking Carp Club!

We had a local carp club sponsor a national Carp In here on Lake Hartwell in Upstate South Carolina. You wouldn't believe the chumming they did for their event. They dumped five or six washtubs of secret chum that included wheat, oats, corn, molasses and ?????? I fished their spot before they got there and caught not one carp. They caught fish after fish during their event. Carp are tough on a fly. 8T

I do have several bread flies, corn flies, dog food flies, nymphs, some called carp candy and a carplicious to mention some. I was even thinking about tying a tortilla fly, I guess you can with white leather or something like that.
    See? That's the problem with carp, everybody says it's a sight fishing kind of game but if there is no sight of them that means there is no game...I have gotten to the point that I just blind cast to see if I get lucky but still nothing. The pond is not all that deep so I guess those carp are not in "chasing my flies" mode. I got all excited because I thought I saw some cooping (?) but it turned to be some kind of weird bottom feeder that looks like a prehistoric fish. There are carp in there thou, I have seen them and yes, they are tough but I don't want to give up carpin'. Catching a bass on a 7wt just doesn't feel the same. After you catch a carp on the fly you are hooked for life and I know I am.
    One of these days I'll get me a kayak to increase my chances, of course, that will be when I can afford it and that ain't happening anytime soon. lol
    To see the positive side I have been practicing my cast a lot!
    Thanks
    Last edited by Martin McFly; 08-06-2009 at 03:42 PM.

carp never chases flies. that is why you must sight fish.
    carp must be feeding if they are to take your fly. if they are not feeding go home. I have fished for carp for several years and I've come to the conclusion that carp will take any fly if it is presented properly. Carp eat in a feeding zone that starts about 2 feet from their mouth and is about 18 inches wide total; 9 inches on each side of the mouth. when carp are feeding on the bottom your fly must land in that zone if you are to have a chance at getting them to take your fly. only move your fly slightly once it is in the zone. any sudden movement will cause your fly to be rejected. I've taken carp on #14 hares ear nymphs, wet flies & dry flies; tarantulas & madam X to name a few. A fishing buddy even got a feeding carp to take his trico! presentation is the key. don't be afraid to use chum to turn on their feeding mode. I sometimes use carp pellets to bait an area I'm fishing. the carp pellets are designed to dissolve quickly in water and to leave a scent in the water but does not feed the fish.
    No fly works all the time so change flies if your choice is rejected.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill-B'klyn; 08-06-2009 at 05:54 PM.

I've caught them on everything from midges to clouser minnows and all stops in between. But Bill's right, if they aren't actively feeding, they aren't eating the fly. With most fish there are a variety of motivations to strike (feeding, territory, defense, pure bloody mindedness when it comes to bass), but carp only seem to hit out of hunger.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

That's one of the issues, I haven't seen any carp in feeding mode since the pond is not shallow enough to see the tailing and the same with the river...but none cooping either.
    Where can I get those carp pellets? I'm not afraid or chumming. Some people even get offended when a fly fisherman mentions the word chum...not me.
    Last edited by Martin McFly; 08-06-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Tortilla Fly

I'm thinking a piece of white chamoise.

Greg

royal carp sell the pellets. I sprinkle about a cup in shallow water where i see carp cruising. as the pellets dissolve carp should begin to tail looking for food. That is where your fly comes in. cast your fly into or near feeding carp, as the carp approaches your fly twitch it slightly . the take by the carp is fast and subtle so be ready. use the heaviest tippet that will NOT spook the carp; i like 0X when fishing in rivers and 5X when fishing in stillwater as a starting point.

Bill

http://www.royalcarp.com/Scripts/default.asp

you know what Greg? It might sound crazy but I might just try it...Thanks Bill I'll check into that.

+ Reply to Thread