+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: leader straightener?

Martin,
    Have a gander over Here.

This shows the high end of the endeavor, but it will still give you an idea of what they're talking about.

Kirk

I use maxima for the leader and it is difficult to straighten just by pulling. I find the jar opener rubber works very nice. I don't use it to straighten all the way to the tippet because generally the tippet lies pretty straight anyway, and I am afraid of weakening it. I use it out to about the 1X section figuring even if it is a little weakened it is still a lot stronger than the tippet of 4X to 7X.

Thanks everyone. You've shared some great ideas. I fish a tailrace where the fish get hit hard and the need for a long leader arises. I'll usually fish a 9ft tapered leader and then add 7-9 more feet of tippet. May sound strange to some of you, but that's how we do it. The problem comes when unhooking fish. I pull the line in enough to be able to get the fish and then pull the leader out of the guides. It's the butt part of the leader that wants to coil. You've all given me some Ideas I look forward to using. Thanks again.

Greg

I use Jack's furled leaders now, but before that I had a brainstorm. I don't know what it is called but my wife had several of these things in the kitchen for opening jars. They are about a 6" square of thin rubber. It works real good and doesn't get black all over your hands like a piece on inner tube would. I'm hopeing to be able to make my own furled leaders soon though. Hope that helps.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

thanks crazy4oldcars, I'll check that out. The thing is that I don't want to buy them, wan to be able to tie them myself, I've seen them around and you hear people talk about them but I've never tried one to make an informed decision.
    I'm not sure if I'll like them but I sure wanna find out.
    BTW hungntree, that is an amazing signature.
    Later

Normand Guest

furled leaders

http://www.bing.com/search?q=furled+...AS&adlt=strict

lots of good reading

I think my hands are the best tools for doing that.

+ Reply to Thread