+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct casting

Question Correct casting

My buddy and I went to a nearby school to use there football field for casting practice and a man stopped and said that we were doing it all wrong. I was taught the 10 o clock to 2 o clock casting stroke is this wrong?
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

Blog Entries

If the line is going out and not dumping at your feet your probably not doing it all "wrong" Beware of experts with free advise, the quickest way of telling them apart is handing them the rod and asking them to show you, if they can cast a line you might learn something from them, too many experts have read a book.

The problem I had with 10 and 2 is that I broke my wrist and 2 became 2:45 or 3 (still have this problem sometimes) and 10 became 8:30

If it works for you its not wrong and always remember that when you break up words such as expert you will understand them better

an ex is a has been + a spurt is a drip under pressure. put em together and you have the root of expert. Kind of makes sence doesn't it.

Keep casting

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

"10 and 2" is a good reference point, but everyone will develop their own style as they get the hang of it. The key is to keep the rod tip moving in as straight a line as possible rather than an arc. The line will go where the rod tip tells it to go.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

It would be interesting for you to tell us what he said you were doing wrong????

5. Default the clock???

It's not about time it's timing.

Depends on what you are doing. Long distance casters use what they call a 170 degree cast. It's mostly all about timing. Accelerate to a very brisk stop. The length of arc is dependant on the distance you are casting. There is no set clock position for any cast.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill222 View Post
    The key is to keep the rod tip moving in as straight a line as possible rather than an arc. The line will go where the rod tip tells it to go.

Agreed. As one of my instructors told me, "You can stand on your head and cast. All that matters is making the tip of the rod do what its supposed to do."

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    All that matters is making the tip of the rod do what its supposed to do."
    ..and, what it's supposed to do is keep tension on the line until you release it on the foreward cast.
    10-2, 11-1, all depends on the speeed of the rod.

Bottom Line:
    If you get a tight loop - Nothing wrong
    If you get a wide loop - Practice, practice, practice
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Talking Hey...

BobinMich,

Those illustrations look just like me, working the water up into a nice milky froth. (I hear that oxygenation of the water is good for the fish.)

In regard to positions of the rod while casting... If you stop at 12:00 (high noon) on your backcast it's called a steeplecast. The line will shoot nearly straight up overhead and return to a normal trajectory on the forward cast. Perfecly legal and has a name so it must be right. Depending on the type of cast you desire, you may change time-zones several times before landing the fly in front of a hungry bruiser. (I wonder what time it is when you roll cast?)

I would say, "Don't let the back-water lawyers tell you what's right and what's wrong." But a little advice can go a long way when added to all the other advice you've gotten and will get. Just don't get the idea that one fella is righter than all the others... Including and most especially me.

Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

+ Reply to Thread