+ Reply to Thread

Thread: spey hook question

Blog Entries

Default spey hook question

I was thinking of trying to tie a couple of spey flies. But they must be able to be cast from a regular fly rod. Do these flies have to be cast with a spey rod? I was thinking of getting a pack of hooks and try to tie a simple classic pattern just for the fun of it. I would like to tie a pattern that a freshwater fish such as a bass would like. Would a size 1.5 be a decent size fly, but not hard to cast with a regular fly rod? I do not understand the hook sizes in spey vs regular fly hooks...but I think that 1.5 might be a good size. Size 3/0 would be good probably for salt water. Is this correct?

Well I know that ol Bugman knows the answer...maybe he will see this and laugh.
    Last edited by kelkay; 07-17-2009 at 03:13 AM.

kelkay,

Not knowing what weight line your going to be throwing these flies with, I'd suggest something a mite smaller than a 1.5 hook. Maybe something along the lines of a 5 or 7 for most single hander uses.

No, these flies don't need to be used with a spey rod. However, you can use spey casts with a single handed rod to increase your access to fishable waters. Spey and Dee flies are types of flies developed for use on the River Spey and River Dee in the UK. They are beautiful flies for beautiful fish.

A 3/0 hook would still be used for fish in the freshwater or brackish water. Take a look at http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...-dee/index.php for some ideas and some excellent step by step instructions on constructing these flies.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the reply. I have a five weight, and an eight weight rod. I was thinking of using some ostrich for a material. I don't want to buy spey materials right now. My material space is already crowded. I have salmon hooks here that I use for streamers, and I wondered if the spey hook would enhance a nice streamer too. Anyway thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread