+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to learn fly tying???

Question How to learn fly tying???

Alright this post is for all the fly tying experts...How is the best way to learn to tye flies. I am interested in learning but don't know if I should try to take a class or buy a book or video. Please send advise.
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

Blog Entries

I learned how to tie flies mainly from You Tube. I had a starter video initially by Lefty Kreh that came in a kit. I never took lessons, but if you can...that would be a great idea.

I tend to be a person that learns best by hands-on trial and error. If I were starting out right now, I think I'b buy a copy of Fly Tyers Benchside Reference and some pattern books and start with 3-4 patterns and practice, practice, practice. I know others will recommend you take a class, but my experience with these types of classes is that they tend to cater to the lowest common denominator so the learning is fairly basic stuff. Advanced classes assume intermediate knowledge and experience so you get lost almost immediately even with just the terminology. Just my 2 cents worth.

Jim Smith

I think its still a good idea to get some feedback type instruction. Look to a community college program or something the city may sponsor where you live. Also, track down a local flyfishing club and ask them about any classes they may offer and then join up and meet with them regularly, many will be more than willing to spend some time with you and teach you what it takes to get going. My favorite though is check with your local fly shop as they will be able to not only provide current, knowledgeable instructors, but all the equipment and supplies that you will need.
    Good luck, and recognize that once you learn you will never, ever have any more disposable income - EVER.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Thumbs up

Raider,
    It really depends on you and how you learn new things. I did both. I struck out on my own some and worked with a good friend as well. If you work with someone else, I would suggest that they be a very experienced, capable fly tier as well as a good teacher. They need to know what they're doing AND be able to explain techniques to you as well. Good luck and Best Regards.....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Having some hands on instruction in a class will shorten your learning curve considerably, but, if there are no classes near you then I suggest you go to http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/ . Start with lesson number one then work your way through the list of lessons in order. Our friend, the late Al Campbell, did a wonderful job setting up this series of tutorials that teaches all the necessary skills while filling a fly box or two.

Don't just tie one fly and consider the lesson done, tie a dozen, then try a few more. You'll see improvemeent in each fly you tie, and you build muscle memory as you practice.

You can also ask questions in the chatroom and here on the BB if you run into trouble.

Good Luck.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

If possible take lessons....when I started it was 6 weeks ...once a week ...geared to beginners...gradually progressing...

raider -

Wondering what kind of resources you really have available in Amarillo TX ?? My guess is that you don't have a lot of fly tying shops, or community colleges offering lessons, or clubs with folks to lend a hand ??

The Al Campbell Series recommended by REE is a good place to start. Also, the Fly of the Week archives have hundreds of entries, most with recipes and photos showing the step by step approach to tying the fly.

There are some other online resources that have great tutorials for tying specific flies. Wish I could think of the names, but can't right now. Those tutorials won't help you too much on tying techniques, but they will give you a lot of ideas on how flies are constructed. One is Harry Mason's - I think it is something like www.troutflies.com, and another is something like www.Charliesflybox.com.

And as someone else mentioned, the BB Fly Tying Forum is a good place to get some help when you get stuck.

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Lessons would be my preference. I had to learn from a book before the youtube era, and probably would make the real tyers wince to watch me.
    Once you are started, join a swap or 2. You'll get better with the practice.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Raiderhunter, Try this group. Jim

Golden Spread Flyfishers
    Tom Grant
    Amarillo, TX
    806-353-3297
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread