+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo Question

Default Bamboo Question

I was in a store today and saw an older bamboo rod for sale. It had 3 tips and was in VERY GOOD condition. I've got two bamboo rods at home that my grandfather gave me years ago, one of them I had re-done not too long ago. This rod is in almost as good of shape. It comes with rod sock and tube.

What is a fair price for such a rod? Having never bought one, I have no idea what to look for. I'm seriously considering purchasing this rod, but would like some feedback from some of those on here that have had experience with this sort of thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

The value of the rod would vary widely based on who built the rod, what model it is, and the conditon of the rod. Anywhere from $10 to several thousand dollars.

NCVirginian- I'd like to help, but we need a lot more information... maker's name, length, two or three piece (extra tips don't count here), line weight. I guess I'm missing a few things, but this would be a useful start.

Chuck

I'm not 100% on the name, but I think it started with a "W". It was a 3 piece rod. The wraps looked good, as did the ferrules. The reel seat and cork also looked to be in very good condition.

Just tell me where it is, and I'll get back to you.

Naw, Just Kidding, it is probably worth having if you want it, and can afford it.
    I have and fish with several bamboo rods from my Father and Grandfather.
    To me they are priceless, and heirlooms I'm passing down to my kids and Grandkids as time goes by.
    I love to fish with those 'Boo's.
    They were made before all this hoopla about weights and baloney. This one is long and limber, that one is a bit stiffer, but the one in the brown canvas is adaptable!
    Then there is Grandpa's off shore rods for ocean fishin...
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

hmmm. . . .Maybe if someone was able to tell me what to look for in order to make the determination of whether it is a quality rod or not?

I agree with you Sonny. They are truly priceless with the right background. I will NEVER sell the ones that my grandfather gave me. They will be passed down to my son/daughter and hopefully my grandchildren.

Tell you what to look for? There were some fine rods made with gawdawful bakelite seats, so asking that is a tall order. One thing to look for is the number of guides. There should be at least one per foot of rod. (Guides is a place cheap builders cut costs.) Nickel silver ferrules is another mark of a good rod. Look at the node structure. Are the nodes placed so no two face each other on opposite sides of the rod? The glue lines can give a clue as to the precision with which the rod was milled. If they are wide and or/or vary in width...fast, cut rate production.

Truly, if the fella is asking enough that you pause at buying and he can't provide info, you are very apt to get burnt.

Default Update

So I went back today and looked again at the rod. After doing some additional research online as to what to look for I did a few very quick, very simple tests.

First, I checked to see if all the sections (mainly the tips) were the same length. They weren't even close and it was obvious that someone had put a very cheap aftermarket end guide on one of them.

Next, I looked at the ferrules. They were a little rusty and one was even bent a little.

Lastly, I looked at the wraps before inspecting the cork handle and reel seat. Wraps looked awful and the cork was full of pock marks. The reel seat was most likely the Bakelite that Colston spoke of, or worse simply plastic (which explains why it looked to be in good condition when I half glanced at it).

The rod, according to the tag, was a Montague Mountain Tom. I'm estimating it at 9'.

Needless to say, I did not purchase it. Unless everyone jumps on me and tells me that I'm an idiot not to buy it, I don't think that I'm going to.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Default Bamboo

NCV
    You made a good decision not to purchase the rod you saw. Based on your description it had very little value if any.
    Bill A

Quote Originally Posted by pafisherman View Post
    NCV
    You made a good decision not to purchase the rod you saw. Based on your description it had very little value if any.
    Bill A
    Thanks Bill. When I got home I pulled out the Bristol that my grandfather gave me and inspected it in the same way that I did the one in the store. Worlds of difference.

+ Reply to Thread