+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: casting ?

Quote Originally Posted by craigd View Post
    I'm learning on a 9wt...
    Consider dropping down to a 5 or 6wt. I think it'd be more fun for you...unless you plan to typically use an 8-9wt for general fishing.

You can feel a 5-6wt load just fine for learning purposes.

Jeremy.

My average fishing cast is between thirty and fifty feet when on smaller rivers for trout. On some of the bigger water when fishing for trout or steelhead/salmon I put away the one hander rods and break out the two handers. Making the long casts that are sometimes needed when fishing big water they make a full day of casting much easier on the arthritic hands. Even smaller trout on a 12'6" two hand rod are a hoot.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Consider dropping down to a 5 or 6wt. I think it'd be more fun for you...unless you plan to typically use an 8-9wt for general fishing.

You can feel a 5-6wt load just fine for learning purposes.

Jeremy.
    I fish the salt mostly but was thinking of adding the 5wt for bluegill in the local ponds. The 9wt will probably still be my primary stick.
    Craig
    Deltona, FL

Red face

Eric,
    I'm a short caster, but I have experienced the frustration of having the fish rising 10' past my best cast.
    I fish for brook trout and atlantic salmon on the same river on the same day .... They are ALWAYS 5-10' beyond our comfort zone !!!

Then on those magical days when the darn salmon are holding on the "closer" lie, the wind will be howlin' out of the valley straight into 'yur face and you MUST use a #2 dry fly to get a rise!!!
    Christopher Chin

For trout fishing most of my casts are within the 40 foot range, as you say. The only time I go for a long cast is when I see rising fish that are positioned where I can't get closer to them by wading. It's usually futile, but who can resist rising fish? I don't usually pick a rod based on casting distance, but I suspect that people trying out a rod at a tackle show or whatever tend to judge it by the distance they are getting. Maybe for no other reason than that's the only criterion that presents itself in that situation.

When I am fishing soft hackles or streamers i often fish with 40-60' of line past the tip-top; this does not include a leader which oft time may be a total of 16' long (w/droppers). This with a 9' 5wt rod. I like to cover more water and wade less when trout fishing bigger rivers and tailwaters. I really don't like wading and deeper than my crotch (I stand 5'9").
    I think casting is much under rated by the average trout fisher. Yes you can catch a whole lot of fish in the 20-40' range depending on a lot of variables. My thinking is such if you can consistently put a fly in a hoola hoop at 60', how much more will your accuracy improve at closer, "fishable" ranges? Get out in the yard and practise! Even with the best instruction, it may take you years to get to that point (it did me), but it will improve your fishing skills and you might just enjoy your outings more! No one product, line or rod will magically make this happen for you. You must practise your casting regularly!

aa

I'm sure Jim was using the "110 feet" as a figure of speech. What he meant is that many casters are would like a 5 weight rod that that casts much farther than they can cast with their current rod. You need to consider the fact that the average guys gets most of his fish casting less than thirty feet or so, but I guess that's beside the point.

Concerning the question of heavier weight rods casting farther, that's true. A good caster using the double haul will cast farther with an 8 weight than a 5 weight. The 8 weight just has more power.

Smile doublehauling

Quote Originally Posted by sjh View Post
    I'm sure Jim was using the "110 feet" as a figure of speech. What he meant is that many casters are would like a 5 weight rod that that casts much farther than they can cast with their current rod. You need to consider the fact that the average guys gets most of his fish casting less than thirty feet or so, but I guess that's beside the point.

Concerning the question of heavier weight rods casting farther, that's true. A good caster using the double haul will cast farther with an 8 weight than a 5 weight. The 8 weight just has more power.

Not to take your point about doublehauling out of context, but there is no reason why a trout fisherman armed with a 5wt can't and shouldn't learn to doublehaul. I find my self doing it even with shorter casts; especially when dealing with wind or weighted buggers, or awkward nymph rigs with shot. I even make mini-double hauls with dry flies at "reasonable" distances...less movement of your casting arm required to make the cast means less fatigue at the end of the session.

There sould no reason routinely double haul a rod fishing for trout. If you do you have a rod designed for grass crap in the ball field or fly rod golf- not for trout fishing. Even on western rivers trout are generally caught within 60'. If you can manage that without double hauling sell the rod to some poor sucker and buy a real trout rod.

JohnLL, I'm not sure you expressed yourself very well. Could you please expand your thoughts.

+ Reply to Thread