+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best rollcasting outfit?

For me, roll casting is a necessary evil for some of the streams I fish. I use just about any rod in my quiver, from a nice slow cane rod to very fast graphite. My longest casts and best results are with a double taper line. One of my favorite rods for roll casting and overhead casting a multiple fly rig is my new Global Dorber 10 foot 4 wgt. Very nice rod.

When comparing spey casts to roll casts you have to remember that a spey cast is primarily a change of direction cast that aerializes the majority of the line. The spey lines are considerably heavier than a normal line and have very long bellies allowing the line weight plus the leader anchor to load the rod. Behind the belly of the spey line is a much smaller running line. On short belly spey lines the belly can measure over 45 feet. That's half the length of a normal fly line. At least that much line is usually out of the guides when casting.

You can use spey casts with a single hand rod, even add in a haul for more line speed.

For my use, a medium fast rod with a double taper line seem to do the business. Your mileage may vary.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Get yourself a Steffan Brothers, McFarland, Southfork Rod Co., T.L. Johnson fiberglass rod or a good cane rod and some good line. Roll cast to your heart's content.
    Am I not right Rockthief?
    "If opera is entertainment, then falling off the roof is transportation".

I agree, glass rods are superior for roll casting in my experience. My current favorite roll caster is an old Cortland Pro Crest glass rod, 8' for 6 line, I use a 5 on it though. It is a roll casting machine and I cannot imagine a better rod for the job.

I'd say the outfit isn't nearly as important as technique. Maybe I'm oversimplifying but if you have proper technique you should not have a problem rollcasting with any rod. I use an 8ft 5 weight and a 7 ft. 4 weight for most of my fishing and have little problem rollcasting with either of them.

Default you got that right!

Quote Originally Posted by RS1 View Post
    Get yourself a Steffan Brothers, McFarland, Southfork Rod Co., T.L. Johnson fiberglass rod or a good cane rod and some good line. Roll cast to your heart's content.
    Am I not right Rockthief?
    Roll cast like crazy today with my Great Bay 3 wt. Fiberglass is the ace tool for roll casting. It was almost effortless to lay out an accurate cast.

Smile Roll Cast IDEAS???

How about checking out a SWITCH ROD?? 10ft 6in or longer. Robert Meiser Rods are available in light line sizes. He is the one that started making Switch Rods over 10 years ago. Thoes of you not familiar with Switch Rods,they are rods that allow to use either
    single-handed casting techniques or traditional two-handed casting techniques. They seem to be the answer for the particular circumstances in question, especially ROLL CASTING.

Fishin' Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Eric D View Post
    I'd say the outfit isn't nearly as important as technique. Maybe I'm oversimplifying but if you have proper technique you should not have a problem rollcasting with any rod. I use an 8ft 5 weight and a 7 ft. 4 weight for most of my fishing and have little problem rollcasting with either of them.
    I agree wholeheartedly...

But that being said, considering your situation, the switch rod as Jimmy suggested and Ray concurs, seems like the way to go..
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 06-11-2009 at 01:11 AM.

I agree with Jimmy, a switch rod is what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by newfie View Post
    WF and fast rods can work but you won?t cast far or have the same kind of control. No way man!

Remember, as the energy from your cast dissipates, it's still more likely to transfer the needed energy to the tip of a DT because the line goes from wide to thin just as the casting energy goes from max and dissipates to minimum. Similar to how a bullwhip generates so much speed as the whip gradually thins-out.

Therefore, med or med/fast rod with matched DT line both weighted to conditions works like a charm.

WF lines, especially some species-specific WF lines, cause problems when getting past the shooting head. Many of the lines designed for fast rods carry most of the weight too close to the line tip for roll casting. This is because have running line out and that?ll kill the energy transfer?..especially with a fast rod as they?re often tougher to load from D-loop and water tension alone. Especially when tying to get your loading tention from a thin running line that picks up off the water too quick to load the rod.

But skill counts for everything, all I need is a shoe string, tree branch and I'll cath em all baby.......Oh ya, I said it!
    He is bang on, and most fishing books will acctully say pretty much the same thing. Anyone new to Flyfish should use a DT as well, as it will be more forgiving on a poor cast.

For those that don't think a roll cast can have distance or accuracy I offer the following link...kind of opened my eyes to what an expert can do. If you scroll through the comments you will find he is using a 9' 5wt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QhDa...x=0&playnext=1
    Last edited by kengore; 06-11-2009 at 06:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread