+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Forgetfulness II

Default Forgetfulness II

Inspired by Mantis' post I have another question:

Did you or a fishing partner ever forget something the other way around; i.e. at stream-side, lakeside, the beach?

Did you get it back?

Fortunately I have never had that problem since I carefully police the area around the car before heading off but I've heard about Battenkills bouncing down the highway after being left on the roof and worse.

An old fishing buddy of mine once left a brand new pair of wading shoes at the parking area at the Connetquat. An early phone call to the park office averted a tragedy.

Any reverse forgetters out there?

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 07 December 2005).]

A few years ago I found a flybox along the Yellow Breeches. Luckily the owner had tagged it with his name and address and I mailed it to him. A week latter I received a package of nicely tied flies and an appreciative letter, probably more flies than was in the box I returned.

Bam

Your post brought back a terrible memory. I was once leaving the yellow breeches and just past the fly shop I heard something fall from the roof of my blazer. I looked in the rear view mirror just in time to see my Fenwick being run over by the car behind me. Since then the first thing I do when I come back is to take apart my rod and put it in a travel case...

Bill

Bill:

I thought you were going to say you lost a fly box full of flies .

Bill, ... That's why one should NEVER put stuff on the roof of the vehicle.

If I have to put something down, ... it goes on the hood of the truck. Many a time, I've gotten into the pickup, buckled up look up and see a reel or box of lies right in front of my eyes.

I DID see a briefcase on the roof of a Lexus the other day on the freeway leaving the airport in Montreal. ... Papers flying

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:b9533]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:b9533]
    Christopher Chin

Chris
    You are right. The hood sounds like a good idea. That mistake was probably 10 yrs ago and I will never forget it. Now I have a regular routine I pretty much follow. First thing is taking the rod apart and the rod or rods go in travel cases. I am a bit anal about it but I have never broken a rod or left anything on the roof or anywhere else again. I guess I learned my lesson the hard way...lol

Bill

Other than the flies I leave in a fish or a tree, yes! Once fished to dark on the Ausable at Bass Flats, just B4 it pours into the gorge. I used my wading staff, at that time a nice solid wood Orvis model, to get down the steep hill and then laid it on the shore rocks as this is one of the few fine gravel and silt bottom spots you will find up there. sure enough i forgot it. Went back up at 6 A.M. and it was gone! Nobody around either. That's when I decided to put my name , etc., on everything.
    The only other thing I have left behind, and have done it at least a half dozen times, is my hat!
    Go into a restaurant for a lte dinner, put my hat under my chair... It is such an old worn hat that no one would want it although they might like the little lights I have attached to it or the mag. But I call them and it is always mailed back to me. Ramondo's and the Rockland House in Roscoe and a little Italian joint in Deposit. Twice each over the years!

Like Chris I allways put gear on the hood in front of the steering wheel if I'm not going to put it away right away. That handy roof rack is just too easy to forget about. I learned that at the cost of my only fly rod at the time and the reel and line too. Reinforced the lesson a few years ago by beating up my twenty gauge when it fell off the back with a great deal of noise as I tried to lose it on the highway too.

------------------
    all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

My Brother-in-law was with us at a campground we all left for home at about the same time . About a 1/2 hour into the trip we caught up to his station wagon and my Son said there's something on the roof of uncle Larrys car . We got a little closer and realized it was a wine glass . Someone at the lake had put a glass of sweet red wine on the top of the vehicle . The sweet wine had spilled a bit and the heat dried it to the bottom of the wineglass stem . We were going to beep and warn him but instead decided to see how far it would go .One hour on a rough washboard road and one hour on the highway the glass stayed there . He made it all the way home . We all had a good laugh when we finally got there .

A friend of ours found a black lab wandering around the bush country at a remote lake . It was pretty hungry so He took it home with him . Someone had placed a ad looking for a lost lab and He returned it . The people had driven 1/2 way home from the lake before remembering the dog . They hadn't been able to find it at the lake or on the road . It was day 3 when our friend picked it up. No-one will ever know what that poor lab went through in those 3 days .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

+ Reply to Thread