+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cabela's waist-high waders - Opinions?

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I know Cabela's makes good stuff, and they stand behind it like no other (If you've ever browsed their Bargain Caves, you would be surprised at some of the stuff they take back!). I've been buying their store-brand stuff since about 1990, when I was just a young 'un. I have seen some negative reviews on their site, but their waders seemed to have a disproportionate number of good revies. If that is because there are so many happy owners, then GREAT!!! I am just trying to confirm that.

I still have another two pairs of chest waders, but my old lighter Orvis Silver Label ones are beyond help and are too old for Orvis to do anything for me (I've already talked with them). My other pair are heavier and ones I like to use more in the winter. I am specifically looking for wading PANTS now because a lot of the fishing I do here in the West is during warmer weather. 80 - 90 degree heat can make chest waders a bit too warm, but when you're standing in 40 degree (or less) water you can't exactly wet wade for too long either. Also, I own a drift boat and have found it uncomfortable to fold down my chest waders to make pants out of them while rowing, so yet another reson for wanting pants.

Quote Originally Posted by gzacckey View Post
    I compared the three versions you're looking at in person. They are progressively heavier as you go from premium to guide. So I went in the middle and they are holding up well against thorns, briars and even one run in with a barbed wire fence that was hidden. I'm starting to see some wear around the bottom of the gravel guards.
    That is the EXACT information I was looking to find, THANK YOU!!! I knew someone on here would know this. I'm also leaning toward the Gold Medal mid-tier version, and this has helped solidify my thinking. You would think that this would somehow be shown on the Cabela's website, but it isn't even mentioned. I guess they want you to assume that the waders are progressively higher quality as you spend more money. That isn't always the case, so I wanted to make sure.

Clarkman23 - Cabela's is really good about returns, and if you spoke with some of their higher-up people, they like to get feedback on their products if there are problems which is part of the reason for their liberal return policy. Even if you have patched them up they'll still take them back in exchange for new ones, or (usually) as a credit for something different.
    Last edited by CO_Flyfisher; 05-19-2009 at 05:51 PM.
    "Engineers don't idle well."

Quote Originally Posted by CO_Flyfisher View Post
    Clarkman23 - Cabela's is really good about returns, and if you spoke with some of their higher-up people, they like to get feedback on their products if there are problems which is part of the reason for their liberal return policy. Even if you have patched them up they'll still take them back in exchange for new ones, or (usually) as a credit for something different.
    yeah, that's what I did initially...and they were great about it (they did send me the second pair promptly). If I were going to get something else from them, I definitely wouldn't waste my time with the lower end model (probably my mistake to begin with)...now, I just use them (with the patches) when I know I won't be doing much bushwhacking or when it's too warm for chest-highs but not warm enough for wet-wading...

either way, for some reason (I can't explain it), I've always felt a little guilty returning things...
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

I just found out from Cabela's that excluding the thicker fabric in the high-wear areas, the Premium model is single-layer fabric, the Gold Medal is two-layer fabric, and the Guidewear is four-layer fabric.

That agrees with what gzacckey posted above.

I've got the Gold Medal waist highs. I'm only on my second season with them, probably about 50 trips and I love them. I beat the brush a little bit, but I'm careful when I do, and I've had no leaks or other issues.

Well I can't say a lot but I am using the neopreme waist high waders and do like them. Know that most all of my wading is in fairly cold water here in Wyoming, and I bought them for my trip to Alaska last summer. I have never used any breathable types before unless jeans or shorts count.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Hey, you guys with the Gold Medal waders - a question. Do the waders come with the black belt shown in the picture on the Cabela's site? The description says "Adjustable waistbelt for added comfort." but some of the reviews make it sound like they don't include it.

TIA!

Mine came with a belt.

Well, three different people so far have told me that the Gold Medal pants came with a belt, not including an employee at one of the retail stores who said they did as well.

FWIW, two different c/s reps in live chat told me that the waders did NOT come with the belt.

I went ahead and ordered them. We shall see...

+ Reply to Thread