+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veggie Dyed Flies

Those are great Bill! Far better range of colours than I've got ; and much more intense colours. What plants are you using to get your different colours?

I'll try and put an article together, but would greatly step aside if Bill would do one as his results are far more advanced than mine.

- Jeff

Jeff,
    Go ahead and write your article. Most everyone starts where you did including me. In the meantime; here is an article on dyeing which might help someone get started.

http://www.feathersmc.com/articles/show/54

I should note that turmeric was frequently used by fly tyers in the past because it is easy to get and use. It gives one of the most beautiful yellows in dyeing but it will fade rapidly in the sun. In the past this was of little concern but now that a lot of flies are tied for display I won't use it except for myself. The chemic in the article is made with concentrated sulfuric acid and not everyone will want to mess with it. The dyes I recommend to fly tyers who only want dye some materials without worrying about historic authenticity are the Cushing acid dyes. The word acid only refers to the fact that you add some vinegar to the dye bath. These were the dyes much beloved by Polly Rosborough when they were made under the Putnam label. Bill

http://www.earthguild.com/products/d...d/dycahome.htm

Bill, Not to hijack the thread, but did you also dye the seal sold on John's site as well as the kid goat hair and pig's wool?

Great colors on the goat hair.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Hi REE,
    I dyed the pig's wool, Berlin wool and mohair. John dyed everything else. I use mostly natural dyes and John now uses mostly Jacquard acid dyes. Thanks for the ups. Bill

+ Reply to Thread