+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ocean City, MD. July opportunities?

Cold Guest

Default Ocean City, MD. July opportunities?

I just got offered a free week in Ocean city, MD this July. I'll have to take care of food and stuff, but the lodging is totally free, so I couldnt pass that up. While I'm down there, I'd like to do some fishing, but even at that, I'm kind of leery. I've tried ocean fishing several times, but have never caught any fish. Granted that was bait fishing. This time, I'd like to try flies. I have a 5 wt. but I think that's far too light, so I've been looking at 7 & 8 wt. setups for bass and steelhead...which would probably work just fine for light saltwater applications.

My questions are these:

What kind of stuff will I need? 0x leaders, special flyline, what? I really have no idea what I'm doing.

What species should I target and how should I fish for them? Also, any dangerous fish to watch out for? I mean, I know a shark when I see it, but theres some scary stuff in the saltwater.

What types of flies should I check into, and can any of them be tied from common materials I have from tying for trout and panfish?

Understand, this is just a week, I'm not looking to invest hundreds of dollars in specialized equipment that I'm going to use for 5 days then shelve until time immemorial. If thats what it takes...I may leave the fishing stuff at home and just go for the...um...scenery.

Finally, where can I fish? I'm not looking for anyone's 'secret spot', but I think fishing in the bays, coves, and inlets would be best, and I dont want to get in trouble for fishing where none's allowed.

If anyone has any helpful information, I'd be most appreciative!

2. Default

We made the trip there in June last year, and we inquired with a guide about fly fishing. He told us that the opportunities are somewhat limited that time of year. He said the best time for fly fishing there is between Thanksgiving and Christmas. We ended up going jigging for flounder.

If you are interested in contacting him, he might be able to give you some general information. Send me a PM and I can get you his contact information.

Cold
    I have done allot of fishing in OC MD but never really tried Fly Fishing. I would not myself consider it a good fly fishing opportunity in the summer unless you had access to a boat and fished in the back bays. On the other hand I have allot of fun bait fishing right off the beaches in the early am and latter in the day. I catch many, small bluefish, kingfish spot, skates & small sharks. If you want more info IM me or email me @ pafisherman@comcast.net
    Bill A

Try the inlet. go in the evening after the lights on the restaurant go on. a good spot is where the white railing ends, but can catch anywhere. Need teeny type line or something like a cortland QD @ 225 grains. Use clousers, deceivers, etc. Can catch blues, stripers, trout, shad. Watch the gulls. If they are present on the water and diving, bait fish are there. My experience has been, no gulls, no fish. Keep your backcast up and watch for bystanders. Can be a very busy place. Need to practice casting in the wind, your double haul before you go. Need something higher than your 5 wt. suggest a 8 or 9 if you swing it. If your only going once you might want to try to pick up a used salt water outfit on ebay or wherever. Hope this helps.

Forgot, might also want to try Stinky Beach, ( ask a local to direct you) in West OC. Stand on the big stones laying in the water and get your line out to the breakoff. Best on a rising tide last couple of hours, especially when it is ripping. BE CAREFULL ! Suggest a PFD. Would not suggest wading unless someone from the area is there to show you where it is safe.

Default Or you can go out early or late and fish the beaches...

Assatege is just southwest of OC and is a great fishing beach with shallow backwaters to explore. The DE beaches are just north on the Atlantic side and many have fishing beach access.

There are a number of locations where you can fly fish for flounder...yep, flounder! Look at a map of DE for Cape Henelopen. You can also fish the Atlantic side just north of the Indian River Bridge...watch out for the surfers and the jetty jocks

I suggest a 9 or 10 wt. (borrow one if it's only a week). I usually fish lighter weights; but, the heavier rod will be best if the wind kicks up (and you only have 1 rod to use). You'll need a stripping basket (can be homemade plastic dishpan with a wader belt) and in July you can sneaker wade. We use intermediate lines on the beach. You're fishing the surf...not for depth.

Stripers like baitfish patterns (match the hatch) and flounder like orange and rootbeer clousers...you just never know. Bucktail deceivers and clousers are easy to tie and you should already have natural and white in your fly tying kit. Chartreuse, olive, pink, silver and combinations of the same...black and purple at night.

A couple of things to remember about fishing the salt...

Fish the moving tides. Some places it's better on the falling and others on the rise. You should be able to find a tide chart online.

Watch the moon phase. Fishing is great on a full moon at night, not as good during the day.

Fish before or after the sunbathers go home and watch your backcast (kids, people, etc)

We typically fish early morning and late evening when everyone else, except the fishermen are gone.

Bmail me if you want more local info...

+ Reply to Thread