+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Star Trek movie

nighthawk Guest

Brian,
    We are Trekkies too. I was wondering about this movie as I am really partial to the original series. I grew up with it. Today would be a most fitting day to go see the new movie as the shuttle is preparing to launch the final mission to the Hubble Space Telescope. We will go to see the new movie. I just got the Fan Collective "Captain's Log" DVD set the other day and we are thoroughly enjoying it!

Folks take a look at this rare scene at NASA:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sh...09-19-5-c.html

This is done to to the danger so servicing Hubble and the ahuttle on those service missions cannot make it to the International Space Station should they have a mishap. The second shutle stands ready to launch with a four Astrounaut crew to rescue the stranded seven Astronauts if the need arises. Sorry BBW, I did not intend to take this off topic.

"To boldly go where no man has gone before"

Went and saw it on Sunday. Loved it...I agree a little slow to start but very much enjoyed the charactors and how they really reached back to the original series. I read somewhere that there was a Tribble somewhere in one of the scenes. I did not see it..Anyone know
    what scene it was in?
    Bill A

Default from wikipedia...........

Quote Originally Posted by pafisherman View Post
    Went and saw it on Sunday. Loved it...I agree a little slow to start but very much enjoyed the charactors and how they really reached back to the original series. I read somewhere that there was a Tribble somewhere in one of the scenes. I did not see it..Anyone know
    what scene it was in?
    Bill A
    Yes there is a tribble in the 2009 Film Star Trek. If you look during the scene when you first see Scotty, there is a cage with a Tribble in it. You can even here the purring sound it makes if you listen carefully.
    http://cff1611.proboards.com
    Sow a thought....reap an act;
    Sow an act....reap a habit;
    Sow a habit...reap a character;
    Sow a character....reap a destiny!!!!!

One more view. Fans of the TV series "Heros" have to get past Zachary Quinto's "Sylar" and just believe he is a young Spock. I did enjoy Leonard Nimoy being in the film too.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Red face

McCoy was the best after Kirk. But some NEW lines sure would be refreshing........

"I'm a Doctor dammit, not a XXXXXXX" has pretty much run it's course.

And Ohura never looked THAT good

I think instead of "introducing the characters" (like we don't already know who they are) they should have just let them 'be themselves" and let it go at that. The "I'm so and so" was a bit moronic.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 05-11-2009 at 09:34 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

nighthawk Guest

Try to bear in mind that the powers that be at Paramount have realized there is a whole generation of Trekkers out there that did not grow up seeing the original series on their T.V. That is unless they watched it on the Sci-Fi channel or some other media. They correctly identified the chance to introduce the original characters to a new fan base for that series and re-energize the Star Trek name. They had an opportunity to do something special here and they have hit a home run with it.

Please bear with it and also realize that there are a lot of us older Trekkie's out there that like hearing those old lines.

My thoughts on 'new trekkies' is this. If they didn't know who they were then it really makes no difference anyway.
    I just feel it weakened the movie. Could have been done a LOT better. Kinda like movies that have to explain things for people 'get it'.
    I guess that is why I like 'House'...........they just let it go and if you don't get it........oh well.
    That's why I don't like Star Wars. "Kiddie Sci-fi".
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 05-12-2009 at 07:47 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    That's why I don't like Star Wars. "Kiddie Sci-fi".
    Even back when, I thought the Star Wars movie seemed more like a kid's day dream. I didn't find it real believable. And then, there's the whole, inverted movie order.

I remember when they used to show the Star Trek series in the afternoons. I had a friend that was allowed to watch TV during the day. We weren't.
    We weren't even allowed to stay in the house unless it was raining. Of course, if it rained real hard, and the street flooded, we didn't WANT to stay in. Of course, Mamma Said we would catch a cold if we played in the rain.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by jimsnarocks View Post
    One more view. Fans of the TV series "Heros" have to get past Zachary Quinto's "Sylar" and just believe he is a young Spock. I did enjoy Leonard Nimoy being in the film too.
    The hair and always low eyes got me past that eventually. As long as he didn't do that evil smirk of his, I was fine.
    It was Chekov that really surprised me, as he didn't have 2 tone hair!

Sure, but at least with Star Wars, they didn't have to come up with some hokey "the stars are seeded by our common humanoid ancestors" schtick. Star Wars was supposed to be a Space Fantasy. Star Trek is awesome, but they both have their plusses.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread