+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mysis shrimp

Thumbs up

Kelly and Ok.....

Thanks for your contributions. The water we're going to be fishing is a tail water under a large reservoir. There is about 3/4 of a mile of catch and release water then the river enters a long stretch of private property that's normally not open to fishermen. Best Regards.....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Default Mysis Water

There is an excellent tailwater w/large browns in a Blue Ribbon Fishery on the Taylor River.

On a map follow the Gunnison River through Gunnison, through to Almont. The East Fork is the Taylor, and famous for it's mysis shrimp activity.

Thumbs up

Colorado,

My younger brother has a cabin at Tin Cup, just a few miles from Taylor. That's where we will be. I have fished the reservoir but this will be my first time for river/stream fishing in that area. I'm pretty excited to experience it. Thanks for the info and Best Regards.....
    Last edited by Joel D. Popham; 05-10-2009 at 08:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Joel, take yer own rock. That place is a zoo in the summer, so much so that I don't bother fishing it. Look NW and wave to me when you are there, I will be over the second mountain.

Hi,

From reading this thread all I could think of was a soft hackle suggestion:

thread: black
    body : white floss
    rib : fine silver wire
    thorax: small ball dubbing, white rabbit fur mixed with some white wool
    hackle: partridge feather (the white ones with black flecks) one or two turns (small mallard breast feather would work too)
    head: black

I've made this up while reading the thread, so it's not a tried and true suggestion or anything, but might be worth trying especially if fishing to educated fish.

- Jeff

Thumbs up

DG,

If it's too crowded, we already have permission to fish that lower section of the river that's privately owned. Otherwise, we will go up to around Fairplay and Como.

Jeff,

Thanks for the recipe. I will tie a few up to have along. Like you said, since those fish are "educated" it might help. I was also thinking about the "G Nymph" that was posed here a few months ago....

Best Regards....

Blog Entries

Joel, the FS water farther down the canyon is actually pretty good fishing, especially when the bugs are hatching. The fish are not as long as your leg, tho, like they are below the dam. The only time I fish the water under the dam is in the dead of winter at first light.

This is the one I tie and have had great success with. they're a pain to tie. taylor creek or frying pan anglers in basalt sells them. I think they might be an umpqua pattern.

what makes that a pain to tie?

and if I had the chance to fish that private stretch I'd be on it in a second. the hog hole can be a lotta fun though. good luck w/ those slobs. they can be right tough.

Thumbs up

ttas67,
    Thanks! I may tie some of my own but having a place to buy them is good too.

mr. blur,
    I agree. Smaller fish on much quieter water is always a good trade.

Best Regards......

+ Reply to Thread