+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 35 # Salmon

Default 35 # Salmon

My son has invited me for a day of salmon fishing and I guess it's a little different ...small river..with over hanging trees ...nice holes but snags and such...might have to horse them...lots of roll casting ..10 wt rods ...Teeny lines and clear water....everything is provided but I thought I'd ask you folks for fly suggestions since I'd like to tie some of my own.
    Anyone ?????...and what size hooks do you like?

Blog Entries

The Popsicle is probably the most common king salmon fly used here... 6-8 strands of flashabou for a tail; diamond braid body, very short; 2 or 3 colors of bright maribou wound as hackle to make a huge ball of fluff; a matching brightly colored hackle to keep the maribou mostly back from tangling on the leader. I tie on Gamakatsu T10, usually in colors, size 2-2/0. Their points are worth the price of admission...

Sparsely dressed Clouser minnows in loud colors is another...

Flash flies would round out my top three patterns for kings...

Except the plain old coho fly is still the one I use most...

Thanks, hap....the folks that own the place say dull colors because of the clear water...I would have thought bright just because they were kings...thoughts????

An old gent I had the pleasure of knowing on and off the water years ago made an annual pilgimage to fish a few of Oregon's smaller rivers for chinook, season after season. The fly he frequently chose was dressed as follows:
    hook: wet fly, heavy wire, down eye
    thread: orange
    tail: orange bucktail
    body: gold flat mylar, wide
    hackle: soft orange saddle, palmered
    wing: green bucktail, tied under shank and extending just past bend
    eyes: large gold bead chain
    The fly was tied rather sparse, with the tail and wing in proportion to the thin tinsel body. The fly rode upside-down due to the bead chain eyes and the position of the wing. No other flash was incorporated. The hair he used was neither "hot" nor fluorescent; the orange was just a nice, bright orange, and the green was probably what most people would call grass green. There were similar patterns he fished, but this is the one he spoke of most often and the one he gave me samples of. He fished it on a 10wt sinking shooting head.

Bosses, comets, and fatal attractions might also be good platforms to tie in duller colors.

I woould try bunny leeches in black or purple and even make them egg sucking leeches by adding a pink ball on the end. I would also tie on a size 4 hook or bigger. Another good fly would be the skunks or the frieght train or purple peril with a few street walkers thrown in to boot. Try going to this site http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/ It has a lot of patterns on it.

Here is the fly.
    http://colo2.flyanglersonline.com/fl...022800fotw.php
    I am sure it was created by George Cook.

Default #35 salmon

Wow, I feel very humbled now JC. Aint no way Im showin any of the flies Ive tied

+ Reply to Thread