+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly rod advice needed for fishing creeks

Default Fly rod advice needed for fishing creeks

We have a couple of good streams which you have to hike in and are bordered on all sides with brush.

What type of rod, length and weight should I consider.

My only rod is a 10 foot 6 weight echo - moderate fast which has a pretty good action for a newbie like me.

I use a 6'3" med. flex 3wt from Bass Pro Shops in creeks just like you describe and love it. It is easy to get the back cast between the overhead branches and the lowbrush piles. With a little practice you can throw the line 50 ft which is more than enough. Roll casts and underhand casts are also easier than with a longer rod in the tight situations you find on small brushy creeks.

Regards, JW

Try what you already have and see how it works for you. How wide are the streams? You can leave it in a tube until you get to where you want to fish then set it up. I have found that I enjoy the longer rods becasue if I wade up to my waste, I can still cast over the vegetation. It's a lot cheaper to try what you already own, but of course if you are trying to justify a new rod because you are fishing different conditions, don't let me get in the way. There is always a good reason to buy another rod.

This is the time to jump into building your own rod - for around $100, you can get a 6'6" 2 wt kit from Hook and Hackle, and a couple of weeks later you're in business.

Smile Greetings

Jack -

Greetings and welcome from SE Idaho.

As to your question - are you talking low lying brush, like sage brush we have around here, or the tall stuff, head high or higher ??

Seems like most people fishing where there are a lot of low to medium height brush and grasses prefer longer rods so they can keep the back cast above the obstructions. In this situation, a rod that suits your casting style, the flies you will use and the fish you will catch is probably more important than length.

Seems like most people fishing where there are a lot higher obstructions like trees close in to the water prefer shorter rods. Again, considering what flies you will use and the fish you will catch, which go to the weight of the line, you might prefer a shorter rod with a softer action which will let you cast more normally, and handle roll casts and the other odd casts that you make to adapt to the conditions.

Depending on how deep and how wide the streams are, streamside clutter may not be the most significant consideration. If you can easily wade the width of the stream, you can almost always find casting angles to have a clear backcast, unless you have a lot of overhead cover directly over the water. In that case, a downstream presentation can be more effective, and a longer rod may be a liability when you try to land the fish.

Good luck.

John

P.S. Herefishy's suggestion is a good one. Rod building is not all that difficult and can save you a lot of money over the long term. You can get all the help you want here on the BB, and there is a ten part series on rod building accessed from the main page that tells you just about everything you need to know to build one.
    The fish are always right.

Build rods because you can customize it or because you enjoy the hobby of building them. Do you think that you can build this rod for less than it costs? http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/1...6-2-Piece.html

I thought about building many times as a means to an end - to get the rod that I wanted not because I would neccessarily enjoy the process of building a rod. Every time that I looked at numbers, I could buy one cheaper than I could build one buying components. If you buy at retail, maybe you can save some money, but this cheap bastid doesn't buy much at retail.

I live fine using last year's model and the fish don't seem to care. If you like to build rods, cool. I can see how it would give someone great satisfaction taking a nice fish on a rod that you built yourself, but I am not buying into the idea that it saves you a dime.

Rick

Blog Entries

Cool

Clay, I agree with you. As a builder of "custom" rods , I never was under the illusion of doing it to save money. Furthermore, most folks dont understand the puposes of building a "custom" rod. I wont go into detail about the benefits of "custom" rod building. Building "a" rod , and building a "custom" rod are two different things altogether..........Ed

Jack, First, welcome to FAOL and the BB from So Cal. You'll find a lot of good information on this site.
    I fished some very brushy, overgrown and narrow creeks this past weekend. Used a WW Grigg 3 wt 7 foot rod. I used lots of roll casts and although I did snag some branches lost only one fly. Practice your roll cast in open water until you are good enough to miss the trees and brush. I was using dries as well as midges under an indicator. Good fishing on those little creeks. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Blog Entries

Glad to have another Canadian on board!!!! As for choice of rod for small streams, some great advice given -- I'd consider 2 or 3 wt. in 7ft 6in to 8ft 6 in. range -- can roll cast, etc. with, get around bush etc. -- and can cast all the distance you'll need on small streams (which certainly isn't tournament casting length -- far from it) -- and be able to handle size of flies you'll be using -- lots of good rods on market -- in low to mid range prices too -- test cast a few -- pay a visit to your local fly shop and check out what's available -- where are you in Canada???
    "No matter how complicated life can get -- remember life is sometimes like fly fishing; after turning over every rock in the river trying to "match the hatch", you have probably spooked every fish for miles -- so don't let the "little things" BUG you -- just enjoy whatever you find." Mike Ormsby

Bordered by bush...like a canopy of trees? 6-7 foot 3wt. If there is heavy fish cover...dead trees in the water etc...go with a 4wt. Prairie creeks like in Wisconsin with tall grass but not a lot of trees... a nice long rod for dapping from behind the tall grass.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread